Sponsored by:

H/C Install. Almost Done.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H/C Install. Almost Done.

Here is what I did:
  • HELLION Cam (243*-247*-112*-.629"-.629" )
  • ETP 225's
  • FAST 90
  • Kooks LT's
  • Kooks Custom Turn-Downs Muflers
  • SLP UD Pulley
  • K&N CAI
  • P/P TB
  • SLP Thermostat 160º
  • 8.5mm MSD Wires
  • NGK TR6 Plugs
  • DIY Catch Can

(LS2 GTO)

SCR - 12.33
DCR - 8.75

Just do the finishing touches right now... I should be starting it up in about 2 hours!

Stay tuned for a video!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

shooting for 460-70rwhp?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

That's sweet man, it will be a whole nother beast when it cranks up! What kind of numbers/et's you hoping for?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned

I am aiming for the 500rwhp mark! I want to break that barrier so bad!

I think it can be done! Especially since Formato will be doing the tuning!

Not sure about ET... What do you think?

(Car weighs about 3500lbs (did some weight reduction) I also have 9" wheels in the back with decent street tires)
Old 07-14-2006, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think with anything over 450hp and street tires it's a hoot sliding from 1st to 3rd!!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

post pics when complete
Old 07-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

Man I just fired it up! OMG! OMG! OMG!

1 thing though... The valve covers seem to be moving excessively... is it possible rockers iare hitting them?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

i would pull one to see.you will see where the rockers are hitting if they are.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slow trap
i would pull one to see.you will see where the rockers are hitting if they are.

Just did that and they were hitting. Removed the baffles and all should be well

Thanks slow trap
Old 07-14-2006, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

video!!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dnm12
video!!!!

Dude I so wanna post one! I was gonna take video of first start up... but camera batt was dead...

now it is charged... but wayyyy too late to make that much noise...

video tommorrow... it will be a dyno vid!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Banned

Wow! That is all I can say right now... JUST WOW!

Started off the day filing all the fluids... and then it was time to set off to see my man Jeremy Formato. I made it all of 10 ft out of the driveway before stalling out... Yah the HELLION (243*-247*-112*-.629"-.629" ) cam is crazy when untuned... bumpedy bumpedy bump. I noticed I had less than a gallon of gas left in the car and sure enough ran out of gas about a mile away from a gas station...

Luckily my dad and friends were in different cars and were able to get me a few gallons so I could make it to the station.... Man this thing is hard to drive. I let off the gas and the RPMS PLUMMET! I stalled again at the stoplight in front of the station... I was trying my best to heel and tow it as to keep it alive.

After 40 miles of driving, getting lost a few times, and stalling my car half a dozen more times we arrive at Ford Speed. We were a little early so we got some Mickey D's Yah we left my car at the shop... I did not want to drive it anymore.

After we finished we went back to the shop and Formato pulled up in his T-rex cammed Vette.... Damn that thing is nice!

I then back the car on the rollers and pop the hood....

OH ****! Jeremy notices there is coolant on the ground.... God damnit one of my heads is leaking coolant. We shut it off and let it cool for a few mins. Start it back up and everything seems fine...

First pull about 480 rwhp.

But my dad then noticed that the rockers were making contact with the valve covers (yah I had already de-baffled them the night before and thought everything was ok).... Soooooo..... We take off the valve covers and Jeremy is nice enough to help us out! He sets us up with a Dremel and we carve those valve covers up! HECK YA! That will show you!... Put them back on.... and the rockers clear the valve covers....woohoo..... So now we don't have any more coolant leaking and valve covers have been taken care of.

Second pull about 494 rwhp...

Ok time for the big one! Yup everything is good... Jeremy tweaking the car... but not pushing it to the limits because this is my daily driver. We let it cool for a few mins.... Got everything set!

Now it is time....

See video here:

Click Here

you like?

Well here are the numbers

513rwhp and 457 rwtq

Holy Jeebus! More than I expected.... I was really doubting I would break 500... I knew I would get close... but 500 is a big number!

Temp was a blazing 103 degrees! And humidity was off the charts! Just imagine what this puppy could do with some cool dry weather....

Now it is time for Formato to work his magic! We go out in my car which drive 1 million times better than before and we drive around town for about 15 mins... The whole time he is logging info and tweaking stuff!

We go back to the shop and he puts his finishing touches on it...

It is now time to leave and this car drives like a dream... Many people told me I am crazy to put this big of a cam in my car.... but man will I tell you I don't regret it one bit! It is the perfect size! And with a tuner like formato to get your car running top notch.... Well it's just awesome...

Car idles strong and is lopey... Needs a little gas to get it going... but not much more than stock... Surges a little bit under 1300rpm..... Yah that's expected... don't bother me a bit. Who drives there car in those RPMS for more than a few seconds anyway?

Man this car runs great now! It is really not that much harder to drive over stock... just takes some getting used to!

OK and we are off to go back home. Naturally I am watching my coolant temp closely b/c of the previous incident...

All of a sudden my gauge which was showing a temp of about 170... drops to COLD! WTF!!!! I put on my flashers and pull over... go into the computer screen and it tells me my coolant temp is 419* F..... Yah ok.... Now I remember that I dropped that coolant temp sensor on my tile floor.... Time to buy a new one....

I make it home in one piece and The car runs great!!! I really love it!

I have decided to be on the safe side I will pull the head that leaked and reinstall it just in case... I am going to try and complete this by tomorrow. Wish me luck

I would like to thank all of the sponsors on here that have helped me with this build...

And I would like to especially thank ED Curtis from FTI who made all this possible by supplying me with GREAT products. Your HELLION CAM IS SICK! Anyone thinking twice about it... DON'T!!!!! It is just wicked... and my numbers will stand up for that! Oh and those ETP heads are AMAZING! They are THE nicest heads I have ever seen. Period! And they make damn good numbers!

I would also like to thank Jermey Formato for giving my car such a great tune... He is a real nice guy and very easy to talk too! He explained everything too me! And told me if I have any problems to just let him know and he will fix it!

I would also like to thank Sean from Speed Engineering for hooking me up with those great prices on the FAST 90 and SLP UD pulley. You are a great guy to deal with.

There are many other people I should be thanking but I am sick of typing...

I am really so happy about all this! This car is a new animal... It is insane.... It is FAST!

Here is your graph: Enjoy

Edit: Don't pay attention to the AFR in the lower RPM.... The wideband was havin some trouble due to my short turndowns...
Attached Thumbnails H/C Install. Almost Done.-dyno-graph-large-.jpg  
Old 07-15-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! You'll have a blast with a powerful car like that. Very impressive.

BTW, your vid link does not work.

Edit: nevermind it's working now.

It sounds sick!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds sick!!!! Congrats, Ed makes awesome cams!
Old 07-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Banned

Just an update.

Started taking parts off my car this morning to take the driver head off...

Took the intake off and noticed the rear coolant plug was loose... OH ****!

I am very happy to find out that my heads are actually not leaking! and it is actually just a very minor problem!

(It was not that stupid of a mistake.... the bolt was about 1/8" long with my new heads and did not seat down on the plug all the way... When I bolted it up I thought it was tight but it was not tight on the plug... My fix: cut the bolt. )

All better

Now I just need to find a better solution for the PCV. There is too much blowby for my liking...

I am soooo happy to know my heads are indeed properly sealed and I dont have to take them off
Old 07-16-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by viewsonic
Just an update.

Started taking parts off my car this morning to take the driver head off...

Took the intake off and noticed the rear coolant plug was loose... OH ****!

I am very happy to find out that my heads are actually not leaking! and it is actually just a very minor problem!

(It was not that stupid of a mistake.... the bolt was about 1/8" long with my new heads and did not seat down on the plug all the way... When I bolted it up I thought it was tight but it was not tight on the plug... My fix: cut the bolt. )

All better

Now I just need to find a better solution for the PCV. There is too much blowby for my liking...

I am soooo happy to know my heads are indeed properly sealed and I dont have to take them off
Sweet! there's nothing like being ready to dig in deep and then find a simple fix instead.

Out of curiousity, what kind of head gasket did you use?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Sweet! there's nothing like being ready to dig in deep and then find a simple fix instead.

Out of curiousity, what kind of head gasket did you use?
Cometic 4.030" bore x .045" thick.

Also sprayed Copper spray on them....

I cleaned the block like crazy before laying the gaskets down... (spent like 3 hours cleaning)
Old 07-16-2006, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

very very nice ride and numbers and congratulations
Old 07-16-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

that hp curve is dead sexy. i expected that cam to peak a lot higher, kudos on the combo.

edit: i see it is an ls2 now...nonetheless, nice numbers!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

hey howmuch u spent on it...care to share where u get all thepart thx