Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much to rebuild a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default how much to rebuild a LS1

if you do it yourself. i have a buddy whos about to put a lq9 into his camaro. he's willing to sell his LS1 longblock to me for 450. i think after a little haggling i can get it for 400. it has 85,000 miles on it and runs great. 3000 miles or so ago he put in some 918's, pushrods and a very large cam that i could pull and sell and buy a cam more fitted for a heavy automatic truck. it will have the lq9 oil pan, and intake on it cuz he wants those for his car(good thing cuz i want those for my truck). im thinking about doing it, but would want to freshin everything up while its on a stand. what all will it consist of, and how much will it cost me if i do the rebuild myself?

also, ive never been past the valve covers on a motor. whats the learning curve for a job like this? think i could get it right? i have a great set of tools
Old 07-19-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did mine on the cheap, b/c i didn't have everything together to do my 408. i spun a rod mearing in mine, so i used the crank out of the 6.0 i bought for my 408, as well as one of the rods. i had the piston from my spun rod pressed on to the new one, cost like $10. put new cam bearings in the block, want to say they charged me $75 for the bearings and to have them installed. new perfect circle rings, $89.00. new bearings for the bottom end (rod and main) was like $80 all together for clevite 77 race bearings. had the heads milled .030 for $50, lapped the valves in as they were a low milelage set i had laying around off someones car. gaskets, you're probably looking about $150 depending on where you buy them (i get cost plus 10% from dealer) and from there, it really depends on you. i got a set of arp rodbolts, arp head studs, double roller timing set, changed cams again, melling oil pump, ect. i would at least put an oil pump and rod bolts in it as they are relatively cheap, and you don't have to deal with the "torque to yield" bullshit. assembly isn't all that difficult. not much differenct than any other motor build. really only special tools you need for a stock rebuild is a ball hone, a torque wrench, and an angle indicator for when you torque the mains, rods, heads, ect.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks. i decided to do a compression test on the motor and if everything checks out ill just stick it in and hope for the best.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You made the right move that motor ... if it has been maintained right ... still has a lot of life in it ...
Old 07-23-2011, 10:43 AM

I spun a rod in my 01 ta ws6 and I really don't have the time to do it myself. How much on average would it cost to have it done?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The standard flat rate allowance for repairing the bearings is 28 hours. To completely overhaul the engine is 38 hours. Labor rates vary, of course. In my area the lowest rate I've found for an independent shop is $60/hour, while dealers run $100+/hour.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:52 PM

I just got a quote from a local shop $1695 for the engine rebuild is that a fair price?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Is that price with motor in or out? Pretty cheap if they pull and reinstall the motor too. Its funny how bearings can spin. I had a low miles motorcycle that spun a crank bearing for no real reason at all.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor 01 ws6
I just got a quote from a local shop $1695 for the engine rebuild is that a fair price?
What is included in the rebuild? Get a written quote that includes the specifics...new pistons or reuse the old ones? What brand if new ones?

Has the shop done many LS engines?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 PM

They would be reusing any parts that are still good like connecting rods and pistons but I think that price is everything included the removal and install and my uncle and father are good friends with the owner and from what they tell me this shop specializes in ls powered cars particularly fourth gen f bodies and the charge less than lethal who wanted 3600 for a bottom end rebuild

Quick Reply: how much to rebuild a LS1