Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pressure?

Got the car running and out on the road. All was good until I was at a stop and I noticed I had 0 oil pressure. I turned the car off checked the oil (which was fine) looked for leaks (there were none). So I started it back up and had oil pressure. Drove it some more but when I came back to a stop again the same thing, pressure dropped, so i revved it and pressure came back up. What would cause this to happen. Driving the car is fine just when at idle it seems to be having problems.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you removed/replaced the oil pump lately? Need to know a little bit more about what you've done to the car.

If you've pulled the oil pump (for a H/C swap, or just a cam swap), it's possible that the o-ring was pinched when it was re-installed.

You really need to coat those things good with oil and make double sure that you take your time putting it back in there. Need to make sure the pick-up tube is lined up correctly with the bottom of the pump, otherwise you can have problems.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I changed out my cam but left the oil pump alone. Wihle I was in there I changed the lifters as well. The pump is an LS6 ported unit that only has maybe 10k miles on it. The cars mods major mods are an ATI procharger and all bolt-ons. It was 104 degrees outside yesterday and my cooling system might not be up to par anymore. I started the car today and pressure was real good.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds as though you may have nicked a cam bearing...
Trust me, i know from experience...