Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

346 boost motor build

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 346 boost motor build

Alright guys, I decided to ditch the H/C plans and begin to build a motor for a single or twin turbo setup. I am thinking of going with a fully built 346 unless you can talk me into stroking it to a 402. I posted a similar thread in the FI section but it looks like it died and I figured some of you motor guru's who stay over here could offer me some good advice. Here is my parts list for the 346 along with some questions about them.

1.Used LS1 shortblock rebuilt, balanced and blueprinted

2.Forged Diamond pistons w/ total seal rings w/ a chrome topped ring (what should the -cc be if I am aiming for a compression ratio or 8:1? Should I ditch the Diamond pistons and up the coin and go with W2W's Mahle turbo piston?)

3.Callies compstar rods w/ ARP rod bolts (6.125 length, right?)

4.SLP timing chain and ported LS6 oil pump (a double roller chain is not necessary is it?)

5.Lucas 60# injectors w/ 2 Walbro 255 pumps w/ a FPR and larger fuel rail (For my FPR will a Kinser K-140 45-81 PSI be enough or should I go to 66-108 PSI? Will an Aeromotive 5/8'' ID fuel rail be large enough or should I just stick with Kinser and run their lines? There is a Kinser Univeral EFI fuel system with everything I need but it only supports 800hp FI and I don't want to be held back by something that was so costly.)

6.Ported LQ9 6.0l heads (will the stock valves be fine or should I go up to a 2.02/1.57 or even 2.08/1.60 size?)

7.Patriot dual springs w/ the full spring kit

8.Hardened pushrods (size depends on my cam selection)

There are a couple other parts that I need some opinions on as well:

-Will OE replacement lifters be safe or do I need to go with Lunati or Morel?

-Should I run with Callies billet main caps or am I fine w/out them?

-How about APR main studs?

-Will I be fine running the stock oiling system with the LS6 pump and LS6 PCV system? If not, what do you all recommend?

-I will keep my PCM stock for now. If I up the boost I may go with something different but I am by no means a tuner so I'll leave that to the pro's.

I believe that is it for now. I will most likely be staying with stock cubes unless one of you can talk me out of it. I'm not sure whether or not I will run a single or twin setup yet; I want to get the engine build first. Once I get to the point where I need to make a cam decision I will decide what setup/size I will run. I will most likely be going through TurboZone as John seems like an upstanding and very helpful guy. Please feel free to shoot any advice this way as I am new to building FI engines. I appreciate it guys!

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD TECH ONLY. DO NOT POST IF YOU HAVE NO ADVICE TO OFFER. THANK YOU!
Old 07-22-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTT for the night
Old 07-23-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Get your crank nitrated
Get boost pistons with gas reliefs
ARP every bolt/studs
Get the best valves money can buy, especially exhaust.
Get ETP or AFR 225 (72cc). They have better deck thickness to keep them clamped. Biggest failure on boosted systems is blown gaskets.

BTW, to be done right you're looking at $ 20.000 easy in motor alone, add fuel delivery, and drivetrain.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can run a longer rod. I have 6.200 in my Z28 nitrous built 347.