Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mods at once. its a agood idea right!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods at once. its a agood idea right!!

got a ? i hope it dosent sound to noobish.

but i was thinking of mabye buying all my stuff like headers,cams,intake manifold,90mmTB,Ignition system,water pump,oil pump,SLP lid,new spark plugs/wireing,tran gears,timing chain,and super chip. thats all iam gonna get the whole chabang but i was thinking of saving up about 12,000 dollors and and buying it all at once and then spending about a week insalling it.

but my father says its just better to put things per week to help them get better broken in, is he right or should i just do it all at once.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Uuh... you can do whatever you want, it's your car. I'd build up like do all exhaust first, then all intake stuff, then internal engine stuff. Plz don't get a chip... your factory ECU is PERFECTLY capable of being tuned (Using LS1edit or (preferrably) HPTuners) to run flawlessly with your mods. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12k will buy you a lot more than you listed. You could get heads, tuning software, a 12 bolt...and probably still be under 12k. I wouldn't install too much at one time so if something goes wrong you have a better idea of what it could be. Why would you need a new ignition system though? Is this a transplant ur putting an ls1 into?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:27 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have fun getting cam(s) installed in your LS1.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

I think it'd be a good idea to do things in chunks. For example, I'm going to upgrade my drivetrain first (rear axle, drive shaft, torque arm, clutch, etc). After I do that I'll do the intake and exhaust (ported throttle body, headers, y-pipe, catback, etc). Once I finish that up, its time for the engine upgrades (heads/cam, pushrods, springs, etc). My car already has suspension so that is already taken care of. Besides, if you do everything in a week, what parts do you have to look forward to installing on your free time? Just food for thought.

James

btw, there is only 1 cam in an ls1
Old 07-23-2006, 02:29 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by losaltos6
got a ? i hope it dosent sound to noobish.

but i was thinking of mabye buying all my stuff like headers,cams,intake manifold,90mmTB,Ignition system,water pump,oil pump,SLP lid,new spark plugs/wireing,tran gears,timing chain,and super chip. thats all iam gonna get the whole chabang but i was thinking of saving up about 12,000 dollors and and buying it all at once and then spending about a week insalling it.

but my father says its just better to put things per week to help them get better broken in, is he right or should i just do it all at once.
Please read the Mod Guide section for a better grasp on what you are wanting out of this car.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:08 AM
TECH Addict

for reals man... your making my hometown look bad

...do it in incriments as you get to know your car better and sooner
Old 07-23-2006, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

If you know your way around an LS1 then there should be no worries getting it done all at once. I did heads/cam/intake/fuel/tranny/clutch and more all at once. I think things are easy when everything is taken apart and out of the way. If you dont think you can do the work yourself then dont...
Old 07-23-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did everything at once, but I didnt have a choice.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

i like doing mods one at a time. besides getting to know your car better, you can see what mods have the most impact/make the most difference individually. if you do it all at once, when you find what you are actually looking for in your car(street/strip/autocross), you may find that you dont need many of the parts you have already installed. thats another reason its good to layout a plan now before you ever pop the cherrry on the car. figure out what you are gonna do with the car, then search for your upgrades to get you to where you wanna be. take it from many of us on here, a lot of money has been wasted on mods we never needed. so figure out what you want, and id say do it in small stages, so u can really feel the individual impact of each upgrade. good luck bro and welcome to the LS1
Old 07-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Launching!

well mabye its a good idea to do them at once just in case something goes wrong i can pinpoint it, the good thing is my father will be helping me with this and he agrees with this desicions. thanks guys
Old 07-23-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with Jimmard i'd do it in chunks that ways its easier to pinpoint problems instead of putting everything on and finding a problem and have to check a lot of different things, instead a of maybe a few things IMO
Old 07-23-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by losaltos6
well mabye its a good idea to do them at once just in case something goes wrong i can pinpoint it, the good thing is my father will be helping me with this and he agrees with this desicions. thanks guys
you just contradicted your first statement.... if you DO everything at once you won't be able to pinpoint

plus your father says go week by week... he's the man of the house after all
Old 07-23-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am a big fan of a little at a time. Right now my car is all stock with 100,000 miles except for a lid and converter. Put down 13.1@106 with the traction control on. I am going to do headers and then that's it for the summer. If you try to do too much, sometimes you forget how much fun it is just to drive it.

-Geoff
Old 07-23-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
for reals man... your making my hometown look bad

...do it in incriments as you get to know your car better and sooner
i know man... i was thinkin the same
Old 07-23-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$12,000 is a lot to spend on mods. If you are committed to spending that amount of money I would look into building a stroker or boost application motor.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

if you do it all at once you'll save time and $$ in labor (i'll assume you're paying someone do this)

but you'll run the risk of having some gremlin pop up and it will be more difficult to diagnose.