Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

415 ls1 iron block build up help

Old 07-27-2006, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 415 ls1 iron block build up help

I just bought this shortblock and need some suggestions.
Need to choose a set of heads, cam, intake.
Goal is to stay NA/ until next round of mods........
Trying to get 500-520 rwhp, n/a

I know this motor is built to be a badass, ntirous setup...and I will grow into it....But for now.. just some good BUDGET heads, nice choppy idle

I know the fast intake is probably best, but will I get by with my ls6 intake for now? Its an easy mod later, and will be done when more money is avail...along with the juice...

GMPP iron 6.0 block bored to 4.062 , with 4.0 stroke 415ci.
Forged Eagle crank
Callies compstar rods 6.125 length
Diamond custom nitrous pistons with 7 cc dish/reliefs
Diamond TNT select nitrous rings
Clevite bearings
Rollmaster double timing set
GMPP LS6 oil pump...ported for added oil flow
Blanced at HPE in Texas
ARP main stud kit

I am looking foward to ALL your input!!
This board is great!
Old 07-27-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hummm....... Maybe an ms4 with some TSP Heads???? Not sure how that cam will work with juice just my guess. As far as intake fast 90 will do but i think the carb style are a lot better and way cheaper try a search on them.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Banned

Did you buy 383LQ4SS's old motor? Do you plan on spraying the house down on it?

Nate
Old 07-27-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

If on a budget, I would run some ported 6.0L heads or LS6 heads. You can find them cheap enough in the "For Sale" section on here. CNC'd LS6 heads can be had for under a grand or so (a little more with dual springs) from TSP, Patriot, or another sponsor. I know Patriot has their 6.0l heads with dual springs on sale for a little over a grand right now. I would make sure you get some dual springs with whatever heads you run.

If you plan on running a large shot in the future I would go with a good nitrous cam when you come to that point. Until then, you could get a large custom (25x-ish) cam to keep you happy, or an off the shelf cam like the TSP Texas Giant. You might also just keep your eye open in the for sale section for a used TRex or large custom grind. You can find some good deals on here.

As for the intake, I'm sure an LS6 would be fine but it would definately be holding you back. If you don't have the LS6 intake you could run a single plane intake like the Vic Jr. I haven't checked the price on them but I don't think it is to high.

Good luck and post up your results!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Second Club

I'll sell you my entire h/c intake setup. I have it on my 408 now, it would work great on your 415. it will easily meet your hp goals. its in the for sale section, but basically an great set of 5.7L ported heads with new springs and valves, 244/254 cam custom ground by FTI for the heads. also a port matched vic jr intake. will also include a STOUT set of .115 wall pushrods for .050 preload.
it would make about 11.4:1 compression with your setup. probably put down 540-550rwhp or so.
I don't think you can beat it for the price
Old 07-28-2006, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Did you buy 383LQ4SS's old motor? Do you plan on spraying the house down on it?

Nate
YES I DID!

SVT This
You are right on the money!
The cam size is still puzzling me? what about the lsa?
I agree on the heads too....just need to make sure I cant get a deal on something even better....

Thanks for the info guys,

I dont plan on spraying it at first, so lets just so no spray for now.

I have the ls6 heads off of my z06, but am concerned they will be too restrictive? I would have to have valves changed, and they are not ported, so I would rather go with a new set.
BUT:
If I am going to buy a new set, should I get ls6, or go with 6.0 truck heads, ported. I am leaning in the large head direction.

Truly,
I want the heads and cam to match, I mean work well together for this setup.
I want to spend the money on the heads, before I go to the intake...just easier to change the intake later.
So
I am really not sure on the action of these cams. They are really big compared to my old setup....
Its hard to tell what they will do.

I am super pumped about the big bore!!!! And will post pics soon!

You know when after you buy something you sometimes say...eh......its alright....eh...

Well the way I feel about this purchase is..... I AM FAWKIN XCITED!!!!!!
I am going to hang out with the big boys!!!!

Last edited by Jed Z06; 07-28-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I'd actually look at buying the heads/cam from 383ss. His motor made some serious power. Or, you could send your LS6s off to TEA and have them port them and then, run 383ss's cam... it's from FlowTech Induction (Ed Curtis, who unfortunately isn't a sponsor here, which is a bummer, but he knows mondo about grinding cams that make serious power).
Old 07-28-2006, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I'd actually look at buying the heads/cam from 383ss. His motor made some serious power. Or, you could send your LS6s off to TEA and have them port them and then, run 383ss's cam... it's from FlowTech Induction (Ed Curtis, who unfortunately isn't a sponsor here, which is a bummer, but he knows mondo about grinding cams that make serious power).
Yes I can use his heads, but he said they need some work, he was running solid, and I am going hydraulic
Old 07-28-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

For the heads I would really just look into buying a set of the budget 6.0l heads outright and selling the LS6's on here. You should be able to recoup some of your loss and you will have a newly machined head with fresh valvework-great peace of mind to have.

As far as the LSA, I would try to stick it on a 110 to 112 LSA if you do not plan on spraying that particular cam or driving it everyday. I think the 111 LSA and lower cams perform very well, but I think it all depends on the drivability you want out of the car. A member on here (Fireball) recently ran a custom T-Rex sized cam on a 105LSA, you could contact him to discuss the aspects of a very low LSA cammed car.

If you spend the money on the heads, before you install them I would just drop the $300-$400 on the Vic Jr. intake and have it port matched to your heads while both are off the engine. It will save you time and money and give you what you want right off the bat.

With a 415 iron block there is a lot of potential. Personally, if I were in your shoes I would get the high compression version of your motor built and save my cash and enjoy the drive. Get some money put away and invest in a forced induction setup. The D1SC Procharger kit can be had for around $5,000 and would make 9s a possibility for you. Turbozone can also get you a single or twin turbo kit that KEEPS the AC for $4500 minus the cost of the turbo, wastegate and BOV. They have many other options available on their website for those who can lose their AC. Check out the FI section as the sponsors post over there quite frequently. I know that Bob @ Exotic Performance and NOSJon from Turbozone would be more than willing to talk about the possibilities with you. Yes, it would be an expensive venture but who cares-I imagine 500+hp NA will keep you happy until you have the dough for a 800-900hp setup! N20 is a great, more affordable alternative. However, there is more power, prestige and bragging rights with an FI setup-just something to think about!

Good luck with whatever you do, keep us updated!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

SVT When you say a hi compession version of my motor built//////
what do you mean by that?

And do yo have a link to the victor jr intake?

Th future plans are always open so FI would be AWESOME..if it can find a way into he budget!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Jed...I have an idea of your budget and what you may be looking for. IMO forget forced induction for now. Youll have all you can handle with a decent set of heads, cam and eventially a FAST90 on the 415 along with even a tiny 150 shot. Trust me...lol. You first started looking for budget replacements for your damaged stock shortblock...now your mind is racing...lol. Try to stick to a basic plan for now IMO. Get your heads and cam...keep the LS6 intake for now, get a good clutch. Get it running. You should be able to do all this for around $5500-$6000 inlcuding the price of my motor and make right around 500rwhp with the LS6 intake.

When your ready for more...either put spray back on it or spring for the FAST 90 and Nick Williams TB.

If you can swing Vinces old Meaux heads and cam get that. Youll be around 11.7 compression

Just dont let the initial goal of replacing your stock shortblock blow up into an unmanageable project. Keep it simple. Theres no better way to ruin the enjoyment of a car than taking on a complex build up in a rush.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
Jed...I have an idea of your budget and what you may be looking for. IMO forget forced induction for now. Youll have all you can handle with a decent set of heads, cam and eventially a FAST90 on the 415 along with even a tiny 150 shot. Trust me...lol. You first started looking for budget replacements for your damaged stock shortblock...now your mind is racing...lol. Try to stick to a basic plan for now IMO. Get your heads and cam...keep the LS6 intake for now, get a good clutch. Get it running. You should be able to do all this for around $5500-$6000 inlcuding the price of my motor and make right around 500rwhp with the LS6 intake.

When your ready for more...either put spray back on it or spring for the FAST 90 and Nick Williams TB.

If you can swing Vinces old Meaux heads and cam get that. Youll be around 11.7 compression

Just dont let the initial goal of replacing your stock shortblock blow up into an unmanageable project. Keep it simple. Theres no better way to ruin the enjoyment of a car than taking on a complex build up in a rush.

See that!!!!
Thats EXACTLY what i wanted to hear!
Glad I bought this from you.....
Will work on the heads/cam combo from V
Old 07-28-2006, 06:11 PM
MASS seller approved

some head porters will port some to your spefics around a 1,000
Old 07-28-2006, 06:18 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you look into getting some l92 heads. Talk about budget, people are selling them assembled for $700-850 a pair. Patriot gold kit $250, hardened pushrods $110, Custom cam $400, and misc parts. The only issue you would run into is the intake manifold. You could use the truck intake if you're on a major budget or go for Mizfit's sheet metal one with a tb and fuel rails for $1500. For the performance of the L92 heads they're really hard to beat.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I didn't know Vince was selling his setup. I'd definitely look into that.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

thats some good advice

can't beat 2500 for my setup though
Old 07-29-2006, 05:19 AM
Banned

That is great advice. I would personally not go too crazy on the cam or intake at this time. Invest money in a set of heads as they're the most important part of the build. Find a reputable head that puts up big numbers. Send your stockers to TEA and have em do a stage 2.5 head, or sell your stockers and go with Dart 225's. Good power with either head and both can be had around 1500 bucks or so.

With a smaller cam (a low 240 duration) you will have great drivability and still make a **** ton of power until you can afford to step up to the FAST 90/90. And I really wouldn't even worry about a 90mm setup. With as much spray as that motor can take, a press of the button can more than surpass the 25rwhp a FAST will give ya.

Nate

Search this Thread