Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C Swap Done... Few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question H/C Swap Done... Few questions...

At this point There are just a few minor problems that I need to get taken care of.

1. Idle is a little high. (Will be fixed by Formato as soon as I get a chance to meet with him)

2. Coolant seems to be going down ever so slightly (either air bubbles in the system or one of those damn coolant plugs are not bolted down tight... I have a good feeling it is the passenger rear coolant plug leaking. On dyno day the driver rear coolant plug leaked like a sive. Reason being is the bolts are too long for the holes in the head... They need to be cut) I will get this figured out this weekend... I KNOW it can not be my head gaskets... Hours of deck/bolt prep. and copper spray on cometics.... That baby is SEALED! (I hope )

3. This one is most confusing. I am getting a little bit of condensation in my catchcan... This never happened before and I am wondering why this is happening now. I have checked my dipstick several times to be sure that water was not getting in the bottom end and every time it came out clean. (FYI Hose coming from valley cover goes to catchcan and then dumps into the intake manifold.) Do you think I am pulling more vacuum and this is causing this?

(pictures attached with "gunk in catchcan bowl... about 1/2 tspn in there)

Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1. may have a vacuum leak, or could be tune related depending on the degree of modification to from before and after

2.could be air in the system slowly working it's way it out if there are no visible leaks

3. havent been driving it long enough to evaporate the condensation, unless it's related to #2
Old 07-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oange ss
1. may have a vacuum leak, or could be tune related depending on the degree of modification to from before and after

2.could be air in the system slowly working it's way it out if there are no visible leaks

3. havent been driving it long enough to evaporate the condensation, unless it's related to #2
But if it were realted to number 2 wouldn't I see condensation in the bottom end?
Old 07-28-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by viewsonic
But if it were realted to number 2 wouldn't I see condensation in the bottom end?
not if it's seeping in as opposed to a full blown leak.....pull the plugs and look for any orangish discoloration
Old 07-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oange ss
not if it's seeping in as opposed to a full blown leak.....pull the plugs and look for any orangish discoloration

I will check. (I will aslo pull the intake off to inspect for leaks/inspect buildup/and tighten down those coolant plugs)

But since the tune I have not had any smoke comng from my exhaust...

I thought white smoke was a tell tale sign of a leaky head gasket...
Old 07-28-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by viewsonic
I will check. (I will aslo pull the intake off to inspect for leaks/inspect buildup/and tighten down those coolant plugs)

But since the tune I have not had any smoke comng from my exhaust...

I thought white smoke was a tell tale sign of a leaky head gasket...

it is, but for a real leak not a seep thru a gasket....i've seen gaskets leak at cold startup but seal up on there own after good warmup. not sayin that's your situation but there's no way to tell with lookin into it....good luck
Old 07-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned

found the coolant leak... It was indeed the front crossover pipe. The bolts are too long for the new heads causing a ever so slight gap.

went ahead and took the manifold off anyway...

What do you think about the oil build up on the intake ports? (about 200 miles since head install)

Old 07-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Banned

bump.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like your catch can may not be filtering out the oil effectively. Which one do you have? Some of them don't have a filtering media inside, or any thing for that matter.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
Looks like your catch can may not be filtering out the oil effectively. Which one do you have? Some of them don't have a filtering media inside, or any thing for that matter.
The Husky one from home depot... It has a filter.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mmmm... I really don't see how it could be anything else, but I'm not a mechanic. Did you have the catch can before the H&C install? What did your old intake look like when you pulled it off? Mine was loaded with oil, but I didn't have a catch can.