Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearing lifters, but no SES light...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hearing lifters, but no SES light...

I've got a 98 trans am and recently had the oil pan gasket replaced. I got on it and as soon as I shifted the oil pressure went out the window and dropped to 0. I could hear my lifters. I had a leak in the oil pan and the rear pinion seal was out. So after the oil pan gasket replacement and pinion seal it's working fine, no sounds, just fine. Then, next day I get on it again and the SAME sound is coming from the lifters. Sounds like the engine isn't getting any oil and then my CHECK GAUGES light comes on and my oil pressure is at 0 again. Then, I turn the car on about 5 hours later, after everything's cooled off and the car runs fine. My oil pressure is at 40 and it runs fine. Then about 45 minutes later, the lifters can be heard again but my oil pressure is fine?! My buddy says the only thing could be my oil pump is shot and he recommended an LS6 oil pump. Probably my oil pump is getting too hot and just can't take it anymore? Or do I just need to get my engine flushed?

Argh...

I'm too scared to drive it. I need some advice.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:29 AM
Staging Lane

sounds like a bad oil pump.
the valve may be sticking when hot.
Good luck
Ryan
Old 07-29-2006, 03:31 AM
TECH Resident

thanks ryan. my worst fear was that the motor was ready to blow. but i think i'm just freaking out. my buddy threw a rod and it's got me spooked.