Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look for power

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look for power

I just got a 2000 M6 Z28. Its has 4.10s w/eaton posi, and a K&N FIPK. My Question to you guys is I want to do a head and cam swap. What head should I go with? I plan to use the AFR Cam (224/228 .581 114LSA) or CompCams XE-R 224/230 .581/.588 114LSA. I know I need a LSX manifold. What headers should I go with. Do I need to swap out my injectors? Do I need to upgrade my fuel pump.What about the MAF and Throttle Body? I plan to drive this everywhere around SoCal. So if you think that the cams I'm looking at are too big, please let me know. I rather do this than a blower. I like that old school muscle car sound but I need it to be driveable. How much power should I expect?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well since u are already lookin at the AFR cam then u might as well go with their 205cc heads also. they are the best out there but they are pricey. If u want to save some money u can go with TSP's budget LS6 heads. they are making good numbers and are inexpensive. an LS6 manifold would work nice, or u could drop the extra cash for a Fast 90/ NW 90mm TB combo. BYUNSpeed has good prices on them. might need bigger injectors. SVO 30# injectors would work good. stock fuel pump should be ok. But u can always go with the racetronix Plug-n-Play fuel pump system to be sure. Flowtech and Pacesetters make LT headers for cheap. Or you could get some Kook's headers or QTP's. They are the 2 best out there but are real pricey. Just make sure u get the smog legal stuff since u are in Cali. U can find all the parts i listed from the sponsors on the main page.

-Blaze
Old 07-31-2006, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Z28 M6
I just got a 2000 M6 Z28. Its has 4.10s w/eaton posi, and a K&N FIPK. My Question to you guys is I want to do a head and cam swap. What head should I go with? I plan to use the AFR Cam (224/228 .581 114LSA) or CompCams XE-R 224/230 .581/.588 114LSA.
Get full exhaust (headers, Y-pipe and cat-back) before you get a cam or heads. Make the heades mid length Macs or longtubes if at all possible.

I know I need a LSX manifold.
You do not need an LSX manifold. An LS6 intake manifold will do well enough. If you want a little more power go with a 90mm LSX intake manifold and TB combo.[/quote]

What headers should I go with?
Pacesetters for budget or QTP/Kooks stainless for the best. They will make similer power unless you really spend some money and get QTP high velocity merge collectors (HVMC). I'd go with coated Pacesetters.

Do I need to swap out my injectors?
It would be a good idea. You may not have to, but I would at that power level in a '00.

Do I need to upgrade my fuel pump?
You should not have to, no.

What about the MAF and Throttle Body?
I would leave the MAF alone, possibly descreen it but nothing else. Port the stock throttle body. You can buy a ported one, pay somebody to port yours or do it youself. There are instructions, search around tech for ported throttle body and "free mods" and you will figure out how to do it.

I plan to drive this everywhere around SoCal. So if you think that the cams I'm looking at are too big, please let me know. I rather do this than a blower. I like that old school muscle car sound but I need it to be driveable. How much power should I expect?
Oh, you live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia......

You will need shorty, CARB approved headers, high flow cats in the stock location, and the biggets cam a TR224 plus a good tune in order to pass SMOG.

Do some searches on the CheaTR cam. Pat G had a lot of info on it some time ago, which may or may nto show up in Tech's FUBAR search engine. For Cali legal I would stronly consider the CheaTR cam with stock manifolds or shorties.