Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure

This just started happening when i gun it 80% or more on the throttle in first or second gear my oil pressure drops to about 10-20 and also my check guages light flickers faintly as im punching it. I am about 1800 miles since my last oil change and i use mobil 1 10w30 synthetic.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will hate to hear this, but if I don't tell you someone else will. You need to tear it down to the cam and remove the chain and gear + take out the pump and probably inspect it and or the o-ring to the pick-up tube. That is closer to being worse case scenario. I would start easy with the valve covers and work your way down from there though. MY guess is you are laying some power down and you are probably running on a crapped out pump. You want a new one most likely, but it is up to you whether you want to go ported with it. 408 isn't exactly stock material.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Launching!

oil pump was brand new with the motor so what does that mean. also i forgot to mention that this was happening before but when i changed my oil it was fine up untill now. maybe i should just keep changin my oil every 2000 miles? and if i do the change the oil and its fine again. what does that mean?
Old 08-06-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by violator6090
oil pump was brand new with the motor so what does that mean. also i forgot to mention that this was happening before but when i changed my oil it was fine up untill now. maybe i should just keep changin my oil every 2000 miles? and if i do the change the oil and its fine again. what does that mean?
It sounds like you need to do what was posted above, or in the best case maybe your oil pressure sending unit is screwed up and the Gs from your 80% punches are causing the sender to fail, but I would not count on that. Maybe have a friend watch the gauge at idle and wiggle it around and see if it changes.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Default oil

Hook a mechanical gauge up to it and stick it out through the cowl and drive it, see if it still drops.How's your oil level? Low oil will cause similar symptoms.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Launching!

the oil level is fine. its weird because other then punchin it in first or second the pressure is stable and rests at a solid 45-50. I do not do the kind of work mentioned above myself so i guess i will have to find a good mechanic to help me out. but thanks for the words of wisdom guys ill see what i can do
Old 08-06-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ramairbird
Hook a mechanical gauge up to it and stick it out through the cowl and drive it, see if it still drops.How's your oil level? Low oil will cause similar symptoms.
Or just run it inside the car, I have a oil pressure gauge in the car and its money well spent, think the Autometer CF series was $60 and I had to get a adapter from a local hardware store from the stock sending unit to the gauge fitting