Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Body may be dead :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default F-Body may be dead :(

i was driving and I downshifted next thing i know i lost all my oil pressure even though i routinely change my oil. I had 2 drive a block or 2 with the engine making a banging, the car shutoff and now im just praying it didnt seize i dont know what the hell went wrong! im thinkin my oil pump went bad and caused problems.. what do you people think and how much? i really cant afford a new engine soo i was wondering if you think theres a chance my engine may still be alive
Old 08-09-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you miss-shift when you down shifted? Have you tried turning the engine over by hand? Pull the plugs and try it to see if there is any resistance when turning it over. How long did you run without oil pressure?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

I guess you should have died yesterday then!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Launching!

nah its at the shop now im waitin 2 see what they say 2morro im just worried wonder what you guys think it can be and maybe gimme hope that i didn't seize my motor.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 PM

In the future, if your oil pressure drops off- cut the ignition as soon as you see zero oil pressure. It might just save you a few thousand dollars.

Ben T.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Launching!

yea seriously thanx im keepin my fingers crossed
Old 08-09-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

ENGINE SWAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Launching!

yea thats most likely gonna put a huge dent in my pockets well lets talk estimates for a nice engine lets get a lil more power too... the cheaper the better and its go2 work with the manual tranmission i have
Old 08-10-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Semi built LS2
Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98FoRmULa_BiRd
yea thats most likely gonna put a huge dent in my pockets well lets talk estimates for a nice engine lets get a lil more power too... the cheaper the better and its go2 work with the manual tranmission i have
Well I'm sorry to say that if you don't have enough sense to cut the engine when it lost oil pressure than you probably aren't mechanicly inclined enough to drop a new short block in, and if you need a new short block thats going to cost you a pretty penny. Other than that a new short block and oil pump can be had for $4200 or so, and installed for a few hundred more if you know how. Depending on how oil starved things got you may need new lifters and a cam (I did).
Old 08-10-2006, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
I guess you should have died yesterday then!
man that was a hardcore statement...lol
Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Launching!

yeap well I guess I need a new motor they called me 2day saying that I cracked a ball bearing and its gonna cost about 5g's with install 2 fix... I got a friend that does all this engine stuff though, who could install a motor for me in a weekend for free, so im looking into ebay and getting a new motor.. figuring its my best option right now.. soo what do you guys think i should get i was looking into a ls2 as mentioned above.. and i was curious if i were 2 sell my f-body without a motor how much do they usually sell for? also does this now mean i can use my old parts and buy a new block?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cracked a ball bearing
Cracked Ballbearing???????
Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Launching!

yeap well I guess I need a new motor they called me 2day saying that I cracked a ball bearing and its gonna cost about 5g's with install 2 fix... I got a friend that does all this engine stuff though, who could install a motor for me in a weekend for free, so im looking into ebay and getting a new motor.. figuring its my best option right now.. soo what do you guys think i should get i was looking into a ls2 as mentioned above.. and i was curious if i were 2 sell my f-body without a motor how much do they usually sell for? also does this now mean i can use my old parts and buy a new block?
If I were you I'd get an ebay or some local motor and drop it right in. It would be the least expensive option. You will not get anything for a car without an engine. If it's your only ride, you can always drop in a 5.3 or 6.0 out of a truck to get you up and running until you can afford a proper engine.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Cracked a ball bearing? You do know what a ball bearing is right? Cause if you did you'd know that 1) there aren't any ball bearings in an engine, 2) you can't crack a ball bearing, all it is are a bunch of steel spheres freely spinning within the confines of concentric steel bands. Sounds like you are being scammed out the ***. Take it to someone who actually knows what they are talking about please...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quick1998Z28
Cracked a ball bearing? You do know what a ball bearing is right? Cause if you did you'd know that 1) there aren't any ball bearings in an engine, 2) you can't crack a ball bearing, all it is are a bunch of steel spheres freely spinning within the confines of concentric steel bands. Sounds like you are being scammed out the ***. Take it to someone who actually knows what they are talking about please...
Thats what I was thinking. Sounds like the shop is trying to give you the shaft. If I were you, I would take it somewhere else for another diagnosis. What about your friend that can install the engine in a weekend, could he possibly take a look at it and tell you whats wrong with it? Either way, good luck with the fix.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you're being f***ed royaly

Do yourself a favor - take it to an Ls1 shop in NY, and have them work on it.
You might pay $1000 more than the muffler shop you just went to, but it's a small price to pay for a powerful and reliable engine.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Dont forget to have them change the Head light Fluid and change the tires air from winter to summer air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Did they say ROD Bearing?

John
Old 08-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Launching!

its possible they said rod bearing but i think they said ball bearing and i do feel like im gonna get scammed here.. i was talkin 2 the guy on the phone and i told him that i found a motor on ebay from a c5 corvette. He told me i couldnt put that into my car and i kno i can put a ls1 6 speed in with my t56 tranny so i really feel like im bein screwed. Im callin my friend hes got a truck im just gonna bring it to him.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Where in NY are you?