Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam not Dot to Dot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam not Dot to Dot?

Ive been having trouble with my car just not performing like it sould with my Torquer 2 cam. Someone told me that my cam might be off a tooth on the timing chain and the cam is not dot to dot. Im pretty sure it was dot to dot but i have been know to make mistakes now and then. But my question is Can these LS1s even run with the cam off a tooth. I know on my oldschool SBC race motors, if you have the cam off as much as a tooth itll backfire and huff back through the intake. Is that the case on an LS1 or is it very possible to have the cam off a tooth and it still run smooth enough to drive daily with no sign of problems with just low performance? Thanx in advance.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be off and run fine. Alot of cams come with 4 degrees of advance ground in, so if you retarded it accidently, you would take some of that advance out, effecting the powerband by moving it higher, and losing low to mid range grunt. It could have also been advanced, and this would effect piston-valve clearance in a negative way. This is just an example.