Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have information on comp cams 206/212 @112 LSA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone have information on comp cams 212/218@112 LSA .522/.529?

does anyone know if this is a good street cam that doesnt need valve spring replacement every 6 months, lumpy idle?what valvesprings should i get for this cam and what length pushrods? also does anyone have any vids of their car with this cam? and can i use stock torque converter or aftermarket, (which one)??

cam is 212/218 @112 LSA .522/.529? from comp cams

Last edited by CAMAROZ28AQUINO; 08-10-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats a real small cam,you probably wouldnt even need a tune for it,well i take that back,you probably wouldnt notice much performance gain,maybe some added midrange and bottom end,..Comp 918's are probably good,you might be able to get away with stock ls6 springs,,whats the lift on it??
Old 08-10-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtail2426
thats a real small cam,you probably wouldnt even need a tune for it,well i take that back,you probably wouldnt notice much performance gain,maybe some added midrange and bottom end,..Comp 918's are probably good,you might be able to get away with stock ls6 springs,,whats the lift on it??
i changed the specs on the cam? how about this one?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be ok w/ LS6 springs, you would need 918's at most, and a tune would defenitley help in an A4.
I would consider doing the converter first, as it will give you bigger gains, but this cam wouldn't be horrilble w/ a stock TC.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very streetable cam. No tuning required. LS6 springs will work good. GM claims they will go for 100K miles. However, looking back; I would have gotten the LS6 street replacement cam from Comp. Same duration but with higher lift in the 550-560 range. No tuning needed on this one either.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

I run the 206/212 112 cam that you first listed. Here are some of my thoughts:
- strong lowend to midrange, noticeable feel from off-idle
- excellent choice for a pure street cam
- about the same topend power as stock cam
- runs great with stock & higher stall TC
- helps the doggy acceleration in the stock TC “dead spot”
- can be run without a tune, but responds well to some minor tuning from a handheld tuner
- no lope, but not a silky smooth idle
- no change in gas mileage
- can be run w/stock exhaust manifolds
- can be run w/918 springs w/stock everything else
- very good 1/8 mi track improvements, IIRC from 8.5@86 to 8.2@89
- cam really responded well to higher ratio rockers

Consider this cam if you
1. rarely run on the track and only like stoplight to stoplight fun
2. will run a near stock setup using stock TC & exhaust manifolds
3. like no or very little tuning
4. appreciate the torquey lowend feel

Consider a faster ramp cam with a 210-212 intake duration, .560-.580 lift & 110-112 lsa if you want to add some power to the topend while keeping a strong low & midrange. A cam like that would be similar to my cam using 1.85 rocker arms. It feels like a 30 hp boost across the rpm board, low-high. That is the kind of cam that most street guys should appreciate.

That cam that Highgear suggested sounds good, especially if you don’t want to tune. But if you can tune or have access to a handheld tuner, I would get that cam custom ground to tighten the lsa up to at least 112. You’d probably lose the silky smooth idle but fatten up the midrange torque by doing so. If I were to do it all over again knowing what I know now, that’s what I would get.

I don’t like to blow my own horn, but take a look at my simple setup in my sig. I’m running competitive times to guys with much larger cams & headers + other mods. Picking mild improvements made it easier for me to make a balanced package. A balanced package is the KEY to running well, IMHO.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

The Katech Stage 1 cam looks like another great choice. IIRC it is very similar to the LS6 cam but the lsa is tightened up to a 112. Take a look at the dyno graph that they have in their description. Here is their link:
http://www.katechengines.com/street_...etail.php?id=3
Power increase across the board! Don't get caught up in peak HP numbers, unless dyno numbers are important to you.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

OK. So I see you started a new thread wanting a cam that has a lumpy idle AND doesn't need a tune. You'd need a tune BECAUSE of the lumpy idle, lol.

Go ahead and get a cam for that cool sound. Experience it and learn what mods it takes to make it work with the rest of your setup. You need to get through this learning experience before what I say will make any sense to you. For now I'll sit back and be the eccentric uncle that you think is full of nonsense.

The sound of power back when I was growing up was "rumpity rump rump". The sound of power today sounds like an LS1@900rpm! The sound of a powerful sleeper today sounds like an LS1@550rpm!!!
Old 08-12-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default !

Originally Posted by nuzee
OK. So I see you started a new thread wanting a cam that has a lumpy idle AND doesn't need a tune. You'd need a tune BECAUSE of the lumpy idle, lol.

Go ahead and get a cam for that cool sound. Experience it and learn what mods it takes to make it work with the rest of your setup. You need to get through this learning experience before what I say will make any sense to you. For now I'll sit back and be the eccentric uncle that you think is full of nonsense.

The sound of power back when I was growing up was "rumpity rump rump". The sound of power today sounds like an LS1@900rpm! The sound of a powerful sleeper today sounds like an LS1@550rpm!!!
yeah the cool sound doesnt really make a difference to me, i would like it to sound good at idle but the most important thing is the power that the cam will give me and im having such a hard time deciding what to do, im going to go crazy soon becuase i dont know what to do !
Old 08-12-2006, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

If you find yourself going around and around in circles about your cam choice then try this. Set your priorities and goals first. Then give one of the sponsors on the right a call to discuss your desire. If you are looking for a good street cam, I think Vinci High Performance has an excellent understanding of street performance. They should be able to steer you right. If not them, seriously check out Katech's cam.

In the early days with the LS1, it was kind of common to see guys running 11s with what is considered baby cams nowadays. But with all of the sponsors trying to make a sale, highest dyno numbers became the selling point. With these high dyno cams, I've noticed less and less guys turning out good track times. It seems like you need a set of heads to make a "dyno" cam to hit 11s, lol. Again in the early days, just about all you'd need to do was bolt-on a set of headers and a high stall TC and you'd be real close at breaking into 11s. STOCK CAM & HEADS!

Of course there are guys out there that do well with todays large cams. They know what it takes to use the cam's powerband to the max. What it usually takes are some compromises to the streetability of the car. But hey, they want to go fast.

I'm satisfied with hitting 11s. I recently swapped out my 3500 stall. Our track closed for good. It won't be years until we see another one. With the stock TC back in, my car is a No-Compromise street car again with my little cam. With just the spare tire & jack removed & slicks, my current setup with stock TC would run 12.5s. Not bad for a no-compromise street car don't you think?

Good luck with your quest! It won't surprise me if you choose to go with a cam-of-the-day since that what most people will post about. But I hope you take my advice and set your goals and call the sponsor that seems to best fit your goals. Aloha!

Quick Reply: anyone have information on comp cams 206/212 @112 LSA?