Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this cam be a good alternative to the Hot Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Would this cam be a good alternative to the Hot Cam?

I was considering getting the hot cam because I really liked how easy it was on valvesprings and the price. I was trying to hit around the 360 rwp range (got an A4). Just enough not to break things

My priorities for a cam are:

1) Valve spring longevity
2) Good enough idle that the car doesn't want to always die (it's not a DD)
3) Solid Lope
4) Horsepower
5) Gas Milage
6) Track times (don't have a track anywhere close)

I'm looking at the Comp Cam XR277HR 224/228 .534 (intake) .537 (exhaust) 112 LSA [advertised duration 277 (intake) 281 (exhaust)]

my supporting mods are: 3200 stall, ported TB, LS6 intake, Long Tubes, intake and exhaust

If anyone could tell me if they think this cam would be a good fit for me or can recommend another cam that will get a valvespring life of about 40,000 miles, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want valve springs that last that long, you probably should be looking at a cam that can be used with the Z06 valve springs. As you get stiffer springs, the stress levels within the spring increase and fatigue lift goes down. Have you considered a Z06 cam?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats an excellent choice. Those older Comp XE grinds are proven winners. If you notice my sig...I stayed with an older grind as well. I am extremely happy with it. Still waiting on dyno time to see how it fares. Im with you...I wanted easy on the valvetrain. Couldnt justify the added cost of dual valve springs for the few ponies I might gain from a high lift cam. Spent that extra cash on other goodies. I think you'll easily hit that 360rwhp mark and maybe more. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

instead of a monster cam with your priorities maybe a older comp xe cam with cheap heads would gain you more hp in the end and be closer to what you want. comp cams 216/220 (thunder racing has it dynoed at 400rwhp with mods and heads) should have a 100k spring life if matched right. Don't think this cam would be picky on heads just something more than stock.

Quick Reply: Would this cam be a good alternative to the Hot Cam?