Sponsored by:

Need help / opinions - Winter project

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help / opinions - Winter project

Hi all,

I picked up my car from a member of this board a couple of months ago and have been having a blast with it. I did have it dyno'd and it pulled 346RWHP and 348RWTQ which I felt was a bit low for it's mods. One thing I know the car needs to breath better is a set of heads. I have been looking at the deals on the Patriot 243's fully assembled, but don't know if I should stick with my current 228/228 .588 112LSA or go with a new cam, something a little more radical. I am already planning on picking up a 12-bolt for the car because I just don't trust the 10-bolt with 150,XXX miles on it. My goal is to eventually hit 400 RWHP but I would think new heads should at least get me to 375 from where I am. Any other opinions on what I should do next???

Nick
Old 08-18-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do a compression test before going forward with other stuff. If in the unfortunate event you discover that the lower end is worn, you would want to know, and you would want to know what you'd replace it with. If you'd go for a stroker then the proper H/C combos would be different than they would be for a stock displacement.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

With that cam I would stick with a 205cc head, otherwise your going to lose a lot of torque and throttle response, you don't necessarily want a high volume head but you do want a high velocity flow through the head. I have the Dart 205's with an F14 cam and I love the combo.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Default thank you

Thanks for the quick responses. I have already had a shop do a compression test when I bought it, I don't have the figures right in front of me (at work) but everything was in spec for this motor with these miles. My biggest problem that I have with the setup as it is, is the lack of power below 3700rpm. From idle up to about 3700, the car just has a general lack of testicular fortitude. Once above that point it does pull hard, but the drivability and stop-light to stop-light fun factor suffers. I am looking into some 4.10's to help resolve this issue, but would also like to be making some more power under the curve. I am hoping heads / possible new cam would help.

Nick
Old 08-18-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viperguynick
Thanks for the quick responses. I have already had a shop do a compression test when I bought it, I don't have the figures right in front of me (at work) but everything was in spec for this motor with these miles. My biggest problem that I have with the setup as it is, is the lack of power below 3700rpm. From idle up to about 3700, the car just has a general lack of testicular fortitude. Once above that point it does pull hard, but the drivability and stop-light to stop-light fun factor suffers. I am looking into some 4.10's to help resolve this issue, but would also like to be making some more power under the curve. I am hoping heads / possible new cam would help.

Nick
Check out this guys car. Pretty impressive!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=61774

Also check out PatrickG's car. He's got a powerful and torquey SOB HC combo.

And don't overlook the ET and TFS heads. Some folks are doing quite well with those.