Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Please Help

OK guys this is what happend I sold My stock 98 T-56 SS to my little brother, He takes it out to infenion raceway track and after 2 runs I heard a lound pinging noise coming from top of the engine,the pinging gets louder as he reved up the motor, oil pressure was about 40 He stopped running it and we towed it home about 60 miles, I did some research and im thinking it might be a broken push rod, any idea what might be causing this noise?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pinging usually is caused by detonation.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

How would I be able to get rid of detonation ?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Is it pinging, tapping or knocking.

Chances are, if the oil pressure is low and the motor is tapping, a lifter could have collapsed. This would have been a result of low oil pressure. But if you are making 40psi at idle, your oil pressure is fine. Unless he was auto-x'ing, he could have starved the engine for oil during hard turns.... collapsing a lifter.

OR... could be a bent push rod. Let's hope this is the problem.

If it's a knock, well lets just say that's not good. Not good at all. And, pinging should only occur if there is detonation, which wont happen at idle.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Ill try to take the valve covers off and check for bent or broken pushrod first, I cound tell if the noise was coming form drivers side or passenger side, but damn I feel bad I just sold the car to my brother a month ago and it broke down, I had the car for 5 years and have never had any problems with it.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a lifter. Find a stethoscope (sp?) to locate where the noise is coming from. Or just stick a center-punch into a piece of hose, hold the punch on various places on the engine, and the other end of the hose very close to your ear. You should be able to pin-point the location of the noise that way.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the help im going to start off by checking the push rods and then ill check the lifters.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

Alright guys still looking for answer the pushrods,rockers are all fine put the valve cover back on car and I notice the knock coming and going at idle I hear coming from underneath the intake manifold, the knocking or tapping does increase with the RMPs any other possibilities?
Old 08-20-2006, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRSSTOY
Alright guys still looking for answer the pushrods,rockers are all fine put the valve cover back on car and I notice the knock coming and going at idle I hear coming from underneath the intake manifold, the knocking or tapping does increase with the RMPs any other possibilities?

did he possibly over rev and bend a valve??
Old 08-20-2006, 03:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also remember to check your spark plugs.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

I checkced all the plugs and wires and they were all there nice and tight I also did an oil change and the knock was quieter , so as of right now I have gotten suggestions that u guys believe it might be a bend valve or a stuck lifter, I ve never taken off the heads but im going to attempt to take them off and hopefully solve the mystery. If u guys have any more input it is more than welcomed
Old 08-20-2006, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JRSSTOY
I checkced all the plugs and wires and they were all there nice and tight I also did an oil change and the knock was quieter , so as of right now I have gotten suggestions that u guys believe it might be a bend valve or a stuck lifter, I ve never taken off the heads but im going to attempt to take them off and hopefully solve the mystery. If u guys have any more input it is more than welcomed

Collapsed Lifter.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

I told a buddy of mne that I had checked the rockerarms and push rods, and he asked me if I had placed them back in the right order? I told him that I put each rocker arm and pushrod back from the place that I removed it from but didnt torue them in any particular order other than torquing them at 22. Is there a certain order in which you need to put the rocker arms back in.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Nope. Just put 'em in and torque 'em down. They dont effect each other, so there isn't any certain sequence you have to follow. Just as long as you use the same rockers in the same location.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

your the S*** bro, thanks u though it my be a collapsed lifter so im going to have my buddy help me out removing the heads to check on the lifters, would it be obious if the lifter is collapsed?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Well, for the lifter to collapse and be damaged, the plunger inside the lifter has to have gone bad. And, without knowing whether the lifter is primed or not, you can't really test them. A spun bearing is much more common, and is caused by the same harsh conditions. You may want to look into this before investing $200 in a set of lifters (although that really sounds like your problem to me).

When you changed the oil, was there any metal shavings? If so, that's a good sign of a spun bearing. I feel for you is this turns out to be the culprit.

Ohh, the main reason I think it's a lifter is becuase it got quieter with new oil. I have seen lifters do that, but not spun bearings.

Also, I just noticed that It is a M6. Do you think the car was mechanically over-reved? This can do all kinds of neat-o stuff to the insides of an engine, it will usually just bend push rods, but it can also damage lifters, spin bearings, cause p/v interferance, etc....