Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking when warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking when warm

Just did a cam swap, now the car ticks. When we took the car apart, we found many bent pushrods, so I replaced them and the lifters. What I didn't notice until I went to reassemble the car was the marks in the pistons, from where the valves had hit them. The cam I took out of the car was stock, so the cam was not creating a piston to valve clearence issue. So now when the car gets warm, it begins to tick, very loudly, and the oil pressure sucks. At times, when the car is warm, it drops to zero on the guage. I'm thinking the valves are bent, but i'm not sure. I know I should of replaced the valves, but the guy who did my heads said they looked fine, which I now know they are problay damaged. So is this my problem, bent valves? And what is the deal with the oil pressure? I put a new LS6 oil pump in it.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valves could be bent or damaged and I bet the O ring on the oil pump didn't seat properly as that is a common problem. This would explain your oil pressure and also the ticking I would say is the lifters not getting enough oil.

Last edited by apexman; 08-18-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:56 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 spd car?
did you just buy it?
maybe the previous owner had a big cam and sold it due to problems?
dunno.
oil pressure doesnt have anything to do with the valves, but it sounds like if you have been runnning the stock cam that there was a serious overrev somewhere along the lines, or maybe a leaking headgasket into the cylinders?
good luck.