Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another head port thread *pics*

5.3 heads. Dyno number will follow soon

:spank:

Old 08-18-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A for effort. Looks like you just polished the ports. You didnt reshape the bowl at all. Look at some pictures of pro ported heads and try to copy.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Are you going to shave your rocker bolts?
Old 08-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Full-Force
A for effort. Looks like you just polished the ports. You didnt reshape the bowl at all. Look at some pictures of pro ported heads and try to copy.

He aint payin enough to profile the valve guide any more. Thanks though.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Ok are u putting in bigger valves or are u just running the stock ones? if yes well then ur wasting ur timebecause ur not going to get any huge gains from just polishing those heads. All i see is nothing but smoothe wavey ports Im sure thats going to really help it flow better. I guess u havent learned ur lesson yet tryin to work on these motors. maybe u should get that bent cam and hang it above ur mirror in ur bathroom. That way it will give u a reminder everyday about how big of an idiot u are.

Last edited by StreetnStrip; 08-18-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetnStrip
Ok are u putting in bigger valves or are u just running the stock ones? if yes well then ur wasting ur timebecause ur not going to get any huge gains from just polishing those heads. All i see is nothing but smoothe wavey ports Im sure thats going to really help it flow better. I guess u havent learned ur lesson yet tryin to work on these motors. maybe u should get that bent cam and hang it above ur mirror in ur bathroom. That way it will give u a reminder everyday about how big of an idiot u are.
Wow thats rough....

On the other hand, not reshaping, only polishing to a mirror finish is going to screw up atomization... Plan on having some serious air flow separation with those things. Look great, most likely won't work great though. =(
Old 08-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
Wow thats rough....

On the other hand, not reshaping, only polishing to a mirror finish is going to screw up atomization... Plan on having some serious air flow separation with those things. Look great, most likely won't work great though. =(
oh boy
Old 08-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned

Oh, boy is right.

Streetnstrip. Thanks for bringin me down a notch.

I really don't think there will be any atomization concern. Thats the job of the injector nozzle. Putting a 50psi plume 2" before the valve in the highest velocity point in the intake system. There shouldn't be any fuel dropout. Maybe if it where carbed, and at low rpm. At any rate, I did go ahead and take a bit more out of the valve guide boss. I'll get those pics tomarrow. for now......... The exhaust

Old 08-20-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I really don't think there will be any atomization concern. Thats the job of the injector nozzle. Putting a 50psi plume 2" before the valve in the highest velocity point in the intake system. There shouldn't be any fuel dropout. Maybe if it where carbed, and at low rpm. At any rate, I did go ahead and take a bit more out of the valve guide boss. I'll get those pics tomarrow. for now......... The exhaust"

You got that right, those two have been eating too many retard sandwiches while fondeling a car craft from the 80's. These are FUEL INJECTED motors, aimed at the intake valves. Not your old high school turd with the $20 worn out used up holley with the blown out power valve.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
You got that right, those two have been eating too many retard sandwiches while fondeling a car craft from the 80's.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, streetnStrip that was a bit harsh. Nobody appreciates feedback like that.

A few suggestions:

Make sure you put bigger valves in the 5.3's, but be aware of the margin (part that hangs down into the cc, eating up PTV clearance) of the new valves though.

Don't be afraid to round off the top of the valve guides on both the intake and exhaust.

You have a bit of meat you can take out around the valve guide on the intake (the area on the left on your pic of the intake port).

Remember, smooth is good for the exhaust port, but not the intake. With EFI, you don't have to worry about fuel atomization as much as you would with a carb'd setup as the fuel is sprayed mostly on top of the intake valve.

Here's a pic of my 243's for reference. By the way, the intake was a bit too smooth at this point, but nothing a bit more work didn't take care of.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Banned

oh dang. That is some nice looking bowls.

I'm gettin a set of stock ls1 heads in exchange for the ones I just did. I only had 2 days with the ones I had pictured. (well, had them longer, just didn't have my porting materials) I'll be putting alot more time in the ones I'm getting. I'm definatly getting rid of the swirl port ramp next time. The ones I did where big time budget. I can't wait to see what it does on the dyno. He base lined it just before the swap. I'll be posting dyno sheets when its all finished up.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not that my heads are anything to brag on but I did copy some proffesional ported heads. I printed the pics of the detailed work in the bowl and around the guides and tried to do about the same work.

I do not have flow numbers yet or dyno numbers. In fact I still have not started on the other head.

Im gonna get them flowed and if they flow say 290cfm or better on the intake then I will spend the money to have them milled and put them on the car.

The finish on the ports is a result of sandblasting them. It removed some material but more importantly evened out the grinding work and smoothed the finish while still leaving frosty like texture to prevent puddling.

Click link below for pics.

port work
Old 01-27-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Numbers yet?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by StreetnStrip
Tuff crowd
Old 02-06-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00BlackSS
Numbers yet?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by domination
5.3 heads. Dyno number will follow soon

:spank:

Thats too smooth on the intake. And I agree...its more of show then what you were really wanting as go.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00BlackSS
no numbers yet?!?