Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which block is stronger, an LS1 block, or an LS6 block?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which block is stronger, an LS1 block, or an LS6 block?

I've heard conflicting stories, want to know if someone can clear it up.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Same.

There is a slight difference in the blocks, but it makes no difference in the strength.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Same.

There is a slight difference in the blocks, but it makes no difference in the strength.
Yep, ls6 just has little windows cut in it to allow for a few more rpm's. Now the early ls1's (97-early 99) are supposedly weaker that the later ones.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fast377
Yep, ls6 just has little windows cut in it to allow for a few more rpm's. Now the early ls1's (97-early 99) are supposedly weaker that the later ones.

yes that is true, the 97-98's had thinner cylinder sleves. you can bore a 99-04 out to 3.905 I think and the 97-98' only tolerate a 3.903 bore. If I remember correctly
Old 08-20-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 2002 block is bored to 3.908. I assume this is safe b/c if it wasnt mahle wouldnt make pistons for this size bore.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

I would check with some of the engine builders on here to get their impressions, but I personally suspect the LS1 block is stronger. I do not buy the line that GM went to the cast in windows to improve crankcase ventilation. I suspect that it was to save cost in raw material (aluminum) and reduce machining cost as they would no longer have to cut the holes in the bulkheads. Granted this is all based on theory as I have never actually machined or built one of these (yet), but having been a machinist for 14 years prior to 1995 that is the way I see it. Anyone with experience with Olds blocks is aware how weak windows in the bulk head can make the bottom end and anyone with experience with Chevrolets "improved cooling heads" of the early 80's (basically heads cast with less iron that were very prone to cracking at the exhaust seat) is well aware that they will spin a cost saving measure as an improvement.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
I would check with some of the engine builders on here to get their impressions, but I personally suspect the LS1 block is stronger. I do not buy the line that GM went to the cast in windows to improve crankcase ventilation. I suspect that it was to save cost in raw material (aluminum) and reduce machining cost as they would no longer have to cut the holes in the bulkheads. Granted this is all based on theory as I have never actually machined or built one of these (yet), but having been a machinist for 14 years prior to 1995 that is the way I see it. Anyone with experience with Olds blocks is aware how weak windows in the bulk head can make the bottom end and anyone with experience with Chevrolets "improved cooling heads" of the early 80's (basically heads cast with less iron that were very prone to cracking at the exhaust seat) is well aware that they will spin a cost saving measure as an improvement.
Thats a very interesting idea, I have never thought of it that way.

hmm. . .
Old 08-20-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is commonly accepted that the LS1 block is stronger than the LS6 block due to the absence of the bay-to-bay breathing windows which can contribute to a weaker structure. However, for 99% of applications, both blocks are equally suitable.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
It is commonly accepted that the LS1 block is stronger than the LS6 block due to the absence of the bay-to-bay breathing windows which can contribute to a weaker structure. However, for 99% of applications, both blocks are equally suitable.
Well is that the failing point of the ls6 block? if it isnt then the block isnt weaker.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In stock form, the diffrences are negligable. If your going to be sleeving the block, the LS1 is the best way to go, and I believe the only one Steve at R.E.D. will use for sleeving.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default LS1 vs. LS6

I have to agree with "Bowtie" on this one.

I actually do more MID installs on the LS6 block but prefer the LS1. LS1 blocks are getting hard to find. I will not do a 4.200" sleeve install on the LS6 block. Too much chance the block will crack in the aluminum between the sleeves with that gapping hole in the bulkhead.

The LS6 block should be fine for most builds. If you are going high boost or large doses of nitrous, stick with the LS1 even in stock form. The slight difference in cylinder wall thickness between the two is insignificant.

Steve

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
In stock form, the diffrences are negligable. If your going to be sleeving the block, the LS1 is the best way to go, and I believe the only one Steve at R.E.D. will use for sleeving.
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 08-21-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
I have to agree with "Bowtie" on this one.

I actually do more MID installs on the LS6 block but prefer the LS1. LS1 blocks are getting hard to find. I will not do a 4.200" sleeve install on the LS6 block. Too much chance the block will crack in the aluminum between the sleeves with that gapping hole in the bulkhead.

The LS6 block should be fine for most builds. If you are going high boost or large doses of nitrous, stick with the LS1 even in stock form. The slight difference in cylinder wall thickness between the two is insignificant.

Steve
Thanks for the great info. I had always assumed otherwise, but its always nice to learn something new.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Teching In

anybody know what is the max HP(rough guess) that stock LS1 block can take vs what the LS6 can take?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

They say some 01 and 02 F-Bodys have LS6 just look at the block ID number in the back of the block
And say that the LS6 block is stronger
I saw this on GM High Tech the mag. They are the ones who say this. They say this is coming from GM Performance Parts themself
One was made in Canada the other some place else
Old 08-22-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

GM Performance Parts' job is to sell parts.

GM high tech mag's job is to advertise for the people who sell parts.

Lot's (MOST) of GM parts are made in Canada. Do you think that is because it's better in Canada, or less costly?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

Well, it seems that people who build the engines in the aftermarket say the LS1 is a slightly better block, and better for higher HP/sleeving.

Then it seems that the people who read magazines say the LS6 is better... because gmhtp says so and because they used it in the vette and later F-bodies.

OK, I guess I got my answer, glad my block is an LS1 block (I actually am thinking about sleeving it someday).

Quick Reply: Which block is stronger, an LS1 block, or an LS6 block?