Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked PRC LS6 Head PICS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked PRC LS6 Head PICS

Got my heads the other day and was polishing them today and found a crack in one of them. This sucks, but at least I found it before installing them. Also, is there going to be a problem with the seats (see pic). It looks as if some of them are not on straight. You can see how they are not centered under some of the springs. Any advice?? And yes, I will be sending the heads back.

The Crack

Spring seat not centered.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody?? Any advice on the Seats??
Old 08-20-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's some nice quality control wherever you got those from
Old 08-20-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like your head was dropped!! And yea, that seat looks jacked up. You better send them back!

Adrian
Old 08-20-2006, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Don't chance it. Send them back just to be safe.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I was thinking that but wasnt sure, there are about 6 of the 16 seats that are like that. They said it was OK. They are a very reputable place so I figured that it was OK.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

I bet UPS caused the damage. When the guys dropped my heads off I saw them through the window and they weren't careful with the box. I made them stay while inspected the heads.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think that is what happened. Although I have seen this before. The box was in PERFECT condition. Dont see how a crack like that could have happened with a perfect container.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can probably shift the spring over by hand if you try. As for the crack, if they were used heads that PRC did, then no telling what happened. That is a pretty beefy section where the crack is, isn't it? The edge looks smashed or dented in, is the other head dented as well? That might be the source of the crack, but the crack doesn't look clean in the photo, which indicates it has been there a while. If the crack was "clean" then it might have happened when shipped to you.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That head could not have been damaged at TSP, because the head would not sit flat on the newen seat & guide machine. The operator would have noticed it. As far as the spring shim, that is an easy fix. The shims have a .550 hole in them. The guides are .500.This will allow them to shift over some. I don't believe that will hurt a thing.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that cylinder head took a pretty good shot it looks like! We use new castings so that damage had to be done some point after it was cnc ported & had the cnc seat work done. It's not the craziest thing I've seen damaged though, we even had a customer last week only receive one of the cylinder heads that we originally shipped to him! I have about 10 sets going together right now so I can ship you a replacement set first thing in the morning.

What kind of polishing were you doing to the heads? I'm hoping you weren't polishing on the runners any. Guys keep in mind we've worked over 6 months of constant tweaking to that head to make it perform the way it does! Cylinder heads are sensitive parts & moving material around can screw up a good cylinder head!

Please keep all the original packaging so I can give it to the UPS people. They always want the original packaging material when they receive a claim. We've had people get door hinges with their camshaft order, & all kinds of crazy things! This by no means is the weirdest thing I've seen, but it looks like that head to a CRAZY HARD shot!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 08-20-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the springs are just sitting on the shims, not a seat. I've seen people do it before, but I personally like the correct seat with the locators on the bottom. If there is no center locator, the inner and outer springs can walk causing excessive wear and early retirment of the springs.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know that stuff happens. Its not you guys fault. No biggie, anyway, I was just using some mothers polish on the ends of the heads to brighten them up. Especially on the pass side where there is nothing covering it. They had a little stain or two so I was just cleaning them up. I would never POLISH the runners or anything like that. HEHE Guess I should have said cleaning. Oh well, stuff happens and you guys continue to astonish me . Jason, I will give you guys a call in the morning. Again, I am not worried, Thanks for everything, and talk to you tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Looks like the springs are just sitting on the shims, not a seat. I've seen people do it before, but I personally like the correct seat with the locators on the bottom. If there is no center locator, the inner and outer springs can walk causing excessive wear and early retirment of the springs.

Gottcha, thanks.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Beasst8
I was just using some mothers polish on the ends of the heads to brighten them up. Especially on the pass side where there is nothing covering it. They had a little stain or two so I was just cleaning them up.
Ahhh, that explains the crack looking dirty.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
That is absolutely incorrect. There is a spring seat under the spring & the shim is under the spring seat!

Guys we do this everyday, do you really think I ship spring kits with spring seats, but leave them off on the heads?
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
That is absolutely incorrect. There is a spring seat under the spring & the shim is under the spring seat!

Guys we do this everyday, do you really think I ship spring kits with spring seats, but leave them off on the heads?

I was looking at the heads last night, now i see what you are talking about. The shim under the seat. Its so clear now Im so stupid sometimes. No biggie then. Thanks

Quick Reply: Cracked PRC LS6 Head PICS