Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP rod bolts rrrg

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARP rod bolts rrrg

I recently ordered ARP (Cracked) rod bolts for my 2000 SS since it is completely torn apart I decided to upgrade. From what I have heard 2000 and older are weaker and have dendencies to stretch. I do believe this however does ARP produce two types of rod bolts: One being for a brand new motor, and one for the typical used motor? Is it as simple as turning the block over on the stand and replacing them? I have heard other wise and didnt quite understand what I was being told. Any input would be much appreciated guys.

Thanks a lot
Corey
Old 08-22-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

From what Ive seen that arp carries they dont have one rod bolt for break in and one for used engines. they just have hex rod bolts and 12 pnt. They do have ones that are stronger then just their standard rod bolt I think arp calls them L19's or something on the lines of that.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Katechs are what i used because they are the only ones you can truly just replace the stockers with and not have to check clearances and all that crap from cap distortion..If you have the arp's already then call arp directly and ask one of there techs the proper way to change them..Maybe someone here with arps will chime in and give ya some help,people have used them with great success,just have to be sure your doing it correctly thats all.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen arp 2000's at over 900 flywheel horsepower and not have a problem. They make a few different rod bolts. The L19 is a higher end material with higher tensile strength for high loads. I have never heard of a new engine or used engine bolt. You can simply swap the bolts and retorque. I put them in hand tight then torque them side to side in steps till I get to the recommended manufactuer specs. Might want to take a look at the bearing while doing the swap to be sure that they are in good shape.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

All the bearings are getting replaced but i will definately not be pushing close to that horsepower. Im shooting for around low 400's.