Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OLD XE vs XE-R question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question OLD XE vs XE-R question....

Putting cam in friends C5, engine noise is a concern…
If all other variables are the same (PR length, spring-type, head-milling, etc…) XE lobes make less valve-train-noise than XE-R, right??? Say something like 220/224 XE vs. 220/224 XE-R…

I have never used a XE based cam so I have no experience in that area...
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd like to know as well...
Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XER lobes, im sure you know, include faster ramping rate. it will pop up the rocker and snap it down. IMO if you had the exact pushrod length necessary, decent springs and lifters that are in good shape the noise level should be about the same but as with any aftermarket valvetrain noise will be there...
Old 08-22-2006, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

i have the XER 224/224 and it can sound like a sewing maching at certain RPM's basically with my exhaust you hear the car and vavles closing and opening, but cats or any muffler would help that out a bunch
Old 08-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

XE-R lobes do have a very fast ramp and have more lift. They are an aggressive cam
XtremRPM cams
Comp has two types, XtremRPM, and XtremRPM high lift
Now Comp has LSK lobes and are more aggressive than XE-R
Since XtremRPM cams high lift are not really high lift at all when compared with XE-R
and LSK they can use 26915 springs but I would still use the 26918 springs
All other variables are the same (PR length, head milling, spring type etc.)
I would think that they make less noise
Old 08-22-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black Z28 M6
XE-R lobes do have a very fast ramp and have more lift. They are an aggressive cam
XtremRPM cams
Comp has two types, XtremRPM, and XtremRPM high lift
Now Comp has LSK lobes and are more aggressive than XE-R
Since XtremRPM cams high lift are not really high lift at all when compared with XE-R
and LSK they can use 26915 springs but I would still use the 26918 springs
All other variables are the same (PR length, head milling, spring type etc.)
I would think that they make less noise
I am hoping... for the less noise... BTW Comp has several lobe profiles to choose from not just two.... XE, XE-R, XFI (which some say are the same as XE-R), LSK....etc....
Old 08-22-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

noise and reliability were the two main reasons i went with the xe-lobe..The exhaust valve is the one that is making the noise so if you went with a xe-r lobe on the intake valve and a xe lobe on the exhaust it would help..My setup is pretty quite and i am pleased with the power output for the older xe lobe design..
Old 08-22-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtail2426
..My setup is pretty quite and i am pleased with the power output for the older xe lobe design..

When you say pretty quiet... do you have any valve-train noise???

Old 08-22-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

um i would say yes i do.. When my car was bone stock it was not that quite either though...Its just a very little bit where you cant hear it when the hood is closed or from inside the car.My valvetrain was much louder when i had the gt2-3 cam and comp 918's..The gt2-3 is supposed to have mild lobes to.Both of my setups have the correct length pushrods to maintain the stock preload of .080 to .100" .The only time you hear the valvetrain is when the hood is open and you are stading over the engine.I thought it was going to be loud because of the dual springs(patriot gold dual) but i was pleasantly suprised.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

If AFR or CompCams would come up with a REV-Kit all these problems would really matter.
Cause as long as you dont float valves who cares about valvetrain noise
Your making alot of power
The more aggressive cam you get (The big ***** cams) are going to have valvetrain noise
My Camaro makes noise and my 71 chevy short bed also makes noise but the truck has a XE solid roller (350 I gen) AFR 195 heads AFR REV-Kit and it make 429rwhp on a 770cfm Holley (Caborator engine)

I wish some come out with a REV-Kit for LS1/LS2 we all were make more power
Old 08-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

If AFR or CompCams would come up with a REV-Kit all these problems wouldn't really matter.
The more aggressive cam you get (The big ***** cams) are going to have valvetrain noise
My Camaro makes noise and my 71 chevy short bed also makes noise but the truck has a XE solid roller (350 I gen) AFR 195 heads AFR REV-Kit and it make 429rwhp on a 770cfm Holley (Caborator engine)

Old 08-22-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

...Cause as long as you dont float valves who cares about valvetrain noise
...because he is a C5 owner which means fickled...

Old 08-22-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

If he is that concerned about noise he should invest in a set of adjustable rocker arms, or better yet, a set of adjustable rocker shafts. I still think most of the valvetrain noise associated with cam swaps is due to the fact that we are trying to set preload with different length pushrods and can only get it close. Perhaps I am just old school, but you should use different length pushrods to get your geometry correct, then an adjustable valvetrain to set your lash/preload.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

If AFR or CompCams would come up with a REV-Kit all these problems wouldn't really matter.

Oh, by the way Agostino Racing Engines came out with a REV kit for the LS1's years ago (back before all of their problems), but discontinued it due to lack of interest and no one was buying them. Of course back then a 224/224 cam was huge for an LS1. I have written them suggesting that they re-release them now that cam technology is such that the springs can not keep up, but they acted like they were not interested. They were using a modified LT1 AFR REV kit if I remember correctly and maching some of the pieces in house. It would work perfectly with todays large cams because it exerted pressure on the outside of the lifter bore, so you would have the valvetrain stability of a larger valve spring package, but would not be collapsing the hydraulic plunger in the lifters from excessive spring pressure. From my understanding that is the largest hold back on hydraulic rollers potential.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I remember that. When I auctualy got the ***** to do a head and cam swap, they stop selling that REV-Kit.
Hey you got some good number on just bolt-ons
Old 08-23-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I remember that. When I auctualy got the ***** to do a head and cam swap, they stop selling that REV-Kit.
Hey you got some good number on just bolt-ons
Thanks... I thought they were OK and was fairly happy with them, but lately I have seen similar numbers getting high praise so I guess I shoould be happier. Especially considering those were through the 35 spline 9" with 4.11, steel driveshaft and I have the old LS1 heads (99 models, I forget the casting #), I also still have the mechanical water pump and stock balancer/pulleys. Unfortunately due to driver error (3-4 shift ending up in 2nd at the track) it is now sitting broke and waiting on me to decide what to do.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

slap a 4L65E w/ 4k stall in that bitch