Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Questions?

I want to install a cam in my 99 camaro ss but everybody tells me that I shouldn't do it. They say that as soon as I install the cam along with the ported ls6 heads my car will be in the shop more than I drive. They say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Is it true that cam and heads=**** load of headaches.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are hundreds, if not thousands of people on this board that have done what you're talking about with no problems.

BUT.... There are things to consider.

How large a cam are you installing? How many miles are on your car? What is your skill level? Think you're going to break something? Oil pump, forget to use a retainer maybe....

I'm not teasing you, I'm just saying there are always some risks in going into a motor. For what it's worth, I put a cam in my car when she had 50,000 miles on her. Now she's sitting on 65,000 and no problems to report. (other than tires can't hold the ground anymore)

Good luck. Stick around. You'll like it here.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

Quality parts and installed correctly will be just as reliable as the car came from the factory. If the car is your only means of transportation, think twice. Can you do the work yourslf?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:48 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why shouldn't you do it?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

From what I have seen, people who have probs, are the ones that do a H/C swap on their Daily Driver, and set aside 1 weekend to do it. The fact is, there is always a chance you will break something, forget something. You will get frustrated, cus, bleed, cus some more, bleed some more. THe key is to take your time. My car has been down for 2 weeks and some change now. I am about half way done, I havent touched it for 3 days now. It keeps you from getting all crazy frustrated and breaking something cause you are pissed. Dont get me wrong, there are people who can do it in a day or two with no probs. THat rocks. Just not you first time. My .02
Old 08-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

i can do some of the work myself but my cousin is the expert. i want to go with the TR224/224-114, and some ported ls6 heads. haven't found any heads yet hoping to get some inexpensive, but that also get me where i wanna be. can anybody help me and am i choosing the right cam for a dd? i want to put down the magical number 400hp but also have good power under the curve for some good 1320 times
Old 08-28-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Patriot Perfrormance is having an awsome sale on their ported LS6 heads right now, and you'll only need the 918 springs for a cam that size. FWIW I purchased the same exact cam for my daily driver 99 Camaro M6 and will upgrade to ported LS6 heads and an LS6 intake when money and time allows. I would definately suggest that you install an LS6 intake so that air can actually get to your nice new heads and underdrive pulley will free up another 10+ hp. For the sake of reliability hardened push rods are a must along with the 918 springs, and a ported LS6 oil pump and LS2 timing chain set will help. Good luck with your build and make sure you post some dyno numbers and track times when you are done.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TR224 cam is alright. i just took mine out (i had the 112) with full bolt ons, underdrive pulley and all that jazz, LS6 intake i was putting down 394, i swapped out the stock heads for some patriot LS6 heads and lost 5 HP! no joke....i just took that cam out and threw in a HUGE custom ground Comp Cams. finished up the swap tonight. should be getting re-tuned sometimes this week, while i had the cam out, i took off my patriot heads and took the junk patriot valves out and put some Ferrea valves in!

good luck on getting the magical 400, the TR224 cam will get you damn near close, but i would have to say you won't get it. go with something a little bigger....it doesn't cost anymore or less really.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
The TR224 cam is alright. i just took mine out (i had the 112) with full bolt ons, underdrive pulley and all that jazz, LS6 intake i was putting down 394, i swapped out the stock heads for some patriot LS6 heads and lost 5 HP! no joke....i just took that cam out and threw in a HUGE custom ground Comp Cams. finished up the swap tonight. should be getting re-tuned sometimes this week, while i had the cam out, i took off my patriot heads and took the junk patriot valves out and put some Ferrea valves in!

good luck on getting the magical 400, the TR224 cam will get you damn near close, but i would have to say you won't get it. go with something a little bigger....it doesn't cost anymore or less really.
I hope you made sure that you have enough clearance with those Ferrea. You'll loose .040 PTV clearance with those.
What is HUGE and what are your chamber CC
Old 08-29-2006, 04:20 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4Matt

good luck on getting the magical 400

You say that like it is hard to do.