Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Occasional smoking... and what color does synthetic burn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Occasional smoking... and what color does synthetic burn?

I'm getting a whitish smoke out the back of my car sometimes on startup and under WOT conditions the last few weeks. My first thought would be coolant burning due to a head gasket, but my coolant level doesn't appear to be going down, and there is no oil in coolant system or visa versa.

Today however my low oil light came on in my driveway and I ended up being almost 2 quarts low. I'm running Mobil 1 5W-30.

Short block supposedly has 30k miles on it and I replaced the rod bearings when I installed it. I've been avoiding doing a compression test because of laziness and how fun that looks with the headers (installed the motor with the spark plugs and headers bolted up already). PCV system has been eliminated and am running a breather on the oil cap. I noticed quite a bit of oil residue on my valve cover over the last few days/weeks, but would never have guessed it close to be 2 quarts.

The car has no cats, and has been tuned. Mods are listed in sig. AFR was right around 12.8-13 the entire dyno pull.

Does synthetic oil burn white by any chance? The exhaust doesn't smell like oil though at all either. Just smells like a car with no cats. Performance doesn't feel like it has changed at all either.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run synthetic and when I was having oil buring problems, it also looked like white smoke to me too. I figured it would have been blue but sure didn't look like it. Maybe only dino oil burns blue.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, that's what I was wondering as well. Guess the next step is definitely a compression test if I'm having oil out the back and oil out the breather

Quick Reply: Occasional smoking... and what color does synthetic burn?