Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed: LS7 or supercharge my LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed: LS7 or supercharge my LS1

I'm fairly new to the LS1 world and fell in love with the motor. I have a new project and need advice. I have a 93 RX7 and since I have a history of creating hybrids, I want to drop an LSX into it. I view it as the perfect marriage. I have a 99 Camaro SS drivetrain with 90K miles. I hear it's good for many more. I am not sure if I should just drop the LS1 in and probably add the Kenne Bell Supercharger, or go with a 427 with heads and cam, nothing crazy.

As for goals for this project, this is to be my more streetable, slow car. I say "slow" because my other car is a Datsun 280Z with a twin turbo 383 SBC. It's crude, rude, and fast. I want to be able to drive the RX7 often, yet outrun the exotics that are in the area (Porsches, Vettes/Vipers, M's, an occasional Ferarri or other Italian exotic). I will also use it for autocrosses and track days. I drag occasionally just for fun. Yes, there is a budget for this project, but I am prone to overrun, so it's not absolutely critical (the Datsun turbo project was 20K over budget-it was supposed to be an economy buildup and I fell victim to the "it only costs a little more to do this"...syndrome.)

Your comments would be welcome.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Originally Posted by silicone boy

As for goals for this project, this is to be my more streetable, slow car. I say "slow" because my other car is a Datsun 280Z with a twin turbo 383 SBC. It's crude, rude, and fast. I want to be able to drive the RX7 often, yet outrun the exotics that are in the area (Porsches, Vettes/Vipers, M's, an occasional Ferarri or other Italian exotic). I will also use it for autocrosses and track days. I drag occasionally just for fun.
Built LS2 402

1. Streetable: AFR Heads, 224/228 cam, forged internals, bolt-ons = linear, predicatble power, reliability, 450+ rwhp/rwtq

2. Outrun exotics: 450+rwhp/rwtq from an LS1 RX7 will outrun stock Porches, Vettes, Vipers, Ms no problem. Not to mention stock blower Terminators.

3. Autocross: NA is the way to go for autocrossing.

4. Occasional drag racing: FORGED 402, so throw on an N20 kit, 100-150 shot, for occasional drag race or street encounter with one of the above exotics that has been heavily modded.

5. Budget: much cheaper than ls7, well within your budget, especially if you're doing the labor.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by will82
Built LS2 402

1. Streetable: AFR Heads, 224/228 cam, forged internals, bolt-ons = linear, predicatble power, reliability, 450+ rwhp/rwtq

2. Outrun exotics: 450+rwhp/rwtq from an LS1 RX7 will outrun stock Porches, Vettes, Vipers, Ms no problem. Not to mention stock blower Terminators.

4. Occasional drag racing: FORGED 402, so throw on an N20 kit, 100-150 shot, for occasional drag race or street encounter with one of the above exotics that has been heavily modded.

5. Budget: much cheaper than ls7, well within your budget, especially if you're doing the labor.
i agree but a 224/228 cam is really small for a 402..that is a cam you would use on a stock cubed motor
Old 09-05-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if I should just drop the LS1 in and probably add the Kenne Bell Supercharger, or go with a 427 with heads and cam, nothing crazy.
Kenne Bell does not make a supercharger for f-bods. You'll have to do some cutting to get it to fit, along with a different hood.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Kenne Bell does not make a supercharger for f-bods. You'll have to do some cutting to get it to fit, along with a different hood.

It's not an F bod, unless you count FD3S as an F bod I will have to cut the hood anyway if I go with a supercharger. Intriguing idea about the LS2. So it's forged internals. That's good to know and I just may go in that direction. I agree that forced induction does not make for a good autocross car. I've tried it in my Datsun, and boost hitting at the wrong moment is not pretty.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

I agree, the 402 is probably the best bang for the buck idea. You can get pretty aggresive with a cam because your car is much lighter than a F-body. You can get to around 500 rwhp no problem and still retain good drivability. Would be great for all the above criteria and like was said earlier throw a 100 shot and some sticky tires and be deep in the tens.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by will82
Built LS2 402

By the way, it is gonna be hard to get a 402 that is not forged.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

It's not an F bod, unless you count FD3S as an F bod
Sorry, I read your post wrong lol. But yeah, a 402 would be a good setup.