Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Roller Rockers, Need help!

Old 09-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing Roller Rockers, Need help!

Is there anything specific that I need to do in order to install Harland Sharp 1.7 rockers? When i installed them before, they would still be loose even though the bolt wouldnt go any further down. Was I doing something wrong or is there just a specific way to install them.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

You probably need longer push rods.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

I did Harland Sharp 1.8's. Either I measured the pushrod length wrong initially (this measurement called for 7.350's) or when I changed to the GMPP C7 lifters something was different. The short version is that I second the call on the longer pushrods. With the 7.350's and the rockers torqued down I can rotate the pushrod - I need to go back to the stock length, the valve train is noisy.

There is a second possibility..

When you tighten these down it is important to bring them down evenly with both exhaust and intake lifters on the base circle. The springs are strong enough on the Patriot heads that the rockers will bind if not brought down evenly (because of the connecting shaft). Also, don't forget to seal the rocker bolts with something - I used Permatex white teflon goop.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Are you sure the edge of the bolt head isn't too large of a diameter for the recessed part on the rocker arm where it should seat? It's kinda hard to explain, but I have this same problem with my set of Harland sharp rockers about 2 years ago. Basically the bolt head diameter was bigger than the diameter of the hole is seats in, so the outer edge of the bolt head would bottom out at the top of where it is supposed to seat. If I tighted anymore, it would result in aluminum shavings coming off the rocker arm shaft due to the bolt "drilling" into it. Maybe you're experiencing the same problem?
Old 09-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Teching In

no its not that, its weird, some most of them do tighten down all the way and 3 of them dont. I dont understand why and when i did a test run with them they made a lot of noise and gave me some knock. I have the stock pushrods now but im just not quite sure if i need to use spacers for the ones that do move or try another set of longer pushrods. Im confused about it. I have 10-20 Hp just sitting in my room and i cant figure out how to get them to work like they should.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by IDSTAR2
I have 10-20 Hp just sitting in my room and i cant figure out how to get them to work like they should.
From the 1.7 roller rockers? I seriously doubt you'll gain hp from swapping out your stock rockers to the same ratio roller rockers.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club

I just sent my stock rockers to harland sharp and had them modified.

Search this Thread