Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Lifters... Did I Get a Jacked Up One??!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation New Lifters... Did I Get a Jacked Up One??!?!

Well I was out trying to determine my pushrod length when I noticed that one of the new lifters has some "spring" to it. With the pushrod sitting on top of the lifter, I can push down the pushrod about 1/8" fairly easily, then it will spring back up when I take pressure off of it. NONE of the other lifters do this, but then again I only soaked one other lifter in oil, the others are still in the box. The lifters were cleaned in solvent then soaked in oil for about 30 minutes before installing. They are COMP OE replacement lifters. So, is this a faulty lifter, or was it not soaked for long enough, or too much? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just dosen't have oil in the body, it should be ok...
Old 09-07-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

So the springy one doesn't have oil in it? Then why don't all of the oiless lifters in the box have some spring to them also?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's fine. "soaking them" in oil helps, but to really get them firm you would need to pump them in oil. before you start the motor, crank it over with the coils unplugged to build oil pressure. then follow it with starting your car for a minute and then shut it down. do that a few times and they'll pump up. first few times you start your car you'll hear tons of valvetrain noise and your car will run like poopoo....after the lifters pump up you'll be fine.

took mine a good few minutes to get all fine and good after i just did my cam swap (had my heads back off for the lifters and blueprinting)
Old 09-08-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
it's fine. "soaking them" in oil helps, but to really get them firm you would need to pump them in oil. before you start the motor, crank it over with the coils unplugged to build oil pressure. then follow it with starting your car for a minute and then shut it down. do that a few times and they'll pump up. first few times you start your car you'll hear tons of valvetrain noise and your car will run like poopoo....after the lifters pump up you'll be fine.

took mine a good few minutes to get all fine and good after i just did my cam swap (had my heads back off for the lifters and blueprinting)
Matt, I don't believe that turning the engine over will build any oil pressure or help in any way. The oil pump seems to be unable to draw the oil from the pan unless the engine is actually running.

I tried to prime my engine this way, I even did so with the plugs removed so that the motor spun faster. I watched to see if oil reached the rockers but it never did.

I would just use lots of oil during assembly, soaking them in oil is fine, but skip turning the engine over in hopes of generating oil circulation, it doesn't work.

And to the thread starter. I think the spongy lifter will be fine. But maybe check with Comp on that, just to be sure.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am going to fill the oil galleys with oil before starting it. I will do this by pouring it in through the oil pressure sender hole before putting the sender in. Some of the oil will seep out into the pan yes, but it's better than having them completely dry on startup.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually spin the motor over before starting it, but like it was mentioned, it dosnt really pump any oil like people claim. It usually takes less than a few seconds to see oil pressure on teh gauge,and less than 30 seconds to pump up the lifters when theyre dry.