Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam install help

I can't get the timing sprocket off the crank to put my roll master sprocket on. Should I use my original LS1 sprocket and chain? They only have 30,000 miles on them. Or should I order an LS2 chain and wait for it to come in? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by '01HAWK
I can't get the timing sprocket off the crank to put my roll master sprocket on. Should I use my original LS1 sprocket and chain? They only have 30,000 miles on them. Or should I order an LS2 chain and wait for it to come in? Any help would be appreciated.
I used a puller to get mine off. Mine was not very hard to get off but just needed a little help. You might also try and pry it off carefully using two screw drives. Pullers are cheap at autozone,etc.

Bill
Old 09-09-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double rollers are in many cases overkill IMHO unless you're installing a monster cam and serious springs to go with it.

If you're installing a mild to medium cam and you have taken good care of your engine (only minor slack in the chain) the stock unit should be fine, LS2 is better if you want to wait or get a puller as stated above.

my .02
Old 09-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Launching!

I am installing a MS4 from TSP, and I am ready to get on with it. Should I just order a LS2 chain and wait for it to come in, or do you guy/girls think my stock chain is o.k. with only 30,000 easy miles on it.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use whatever puller you used to get the crank pulley off. This is what I had to do to get mine off.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am installing a MS4 from TSP, and I am ready to get on with it. Should I just order a LS2 chain and wait for it to come in, or do you guy/girls think my stock chain is o.k. with only 30,000 easy miles on it.
Go with the Dual setup and then you do not have to worry about it...

Bill
Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Use whatever puller you used to get the crank pulley off. This is what I had to do to get mine off.
Yeah what he said.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Talking Replace it

Hell no, You already pulled the oil pump, which means you did alot of work on the oil pan to drop it. Replace it with the double roller. Of course its over kill,that good. Next replace the rocker arms down the road. My chain had 76,000 on it with all kinds of slack, and two girls had it before me, so that should tell you something about that single chain crap.
Summit sent the wrong chain to me so I have to go back in and replace the chain next week sometime. Stock arms lasted four days , intake side fell apart. Really do not understand that one since I know people running close to 500rwhp strokers and using oem rocker arms w/ big cams. Everybody also said that it would be over kill and waste of money. I never ran the car above 4,000 due to the fact that I wanted to get a new chain first.
Iam getting some PRW adjustable 1.7ratio roller rockers with the guide plates and poly locks. While Iam it I might aswell go ahead and replace the rods bolts aswell, just some piece of mind $hit. So if any thing flys apart it all my fault for revving it to high, not the oem crap. . I just hope that the lifters dont crap out until put on my zo6 heads.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 09-09-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

I threw the rollmaster single in my buddies and the LS2 chain in mine, and used the 3 jaw to get the old one off
Old 09-10-2006, 06:08 AM
TECH Resident

Like others have said....you spent the time getting that oil pan dropped and the pump off....

Go pick up a set of 3 arm gear pullers and it will come off.

R/

Frat
Old 09-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I use the LS2 chain in all my cam swaps, the new LS2 chain has slack; FWIW there are 800rwhp out there with the ls2 chain

Lou G.(LG) uses a single in his World Challenge Corvettes
Old 09-10-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Use a puller to get it off. Use the old sprocket and the old bolt to press the new sprocket all the way on. Do not pry or bang on the crank shaft!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Launching!

sounds like everyone agrees I should continue on and get the dual rollmaster on the crank. I have had 3 different pullers. the pullers that have the reach are to big to grab behind the sproket. The pullers that fit behind the sproket do not have a long enough reach. I guess I am going back to the store in search of a 3 arm puller that will work.
I do agree with everyone, that I have gone this far and might as well get the rollmaster on. I just wish there was another half inch between the sprocket, and the block so I could use the puller I have.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

sounds like everyone agrees I should continue on and get the dual rollmaster on the crank. I have had 3 different pullers. the pullers that have the reach are to big to grab behind the sproket. The pullers that fit behind the sproket do not have a long enough reach. I guess I am going back to the store in search of a 3 arm puller that will work.
I do agree with everyone, that I have gone this far and might as well get the rollmaster on. I just wish there was another half inch between the sprocket, and the block so I could use the puller I have.
I rented a puller that came with extensions for the arms. It was a slight challenge to get it situated but once it was on there straight, the sprocket came off like buttah.

Good luck bro. Be patient, get the right tools, do the right thing.

PS don't drop anything in the oil pan
Old 09-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Well I found a puller that fits and it made the job simple. Now I have very little clearance between the new double chain and the oil pump. Yes I have the spacer behind the oil pump. They are allmost touching I will have to get a feeler gauge to check the clearance, but it looks to close to me. Anyone else run into this problem?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Well I found a puller that fits and it made the job simple. Now I have very little clearance between the new double chain and the oil pump. Yes I have the spacer behind the oil pump. They are allmost touching I will have to get a feeler gauge to check the clearance, but it looks to close to me. Anyone else run into this problem?
I didn't because I'm running a single roller. What kind of oil pump are you running? Try a search, I'm sure this problem has been discussed/encountered.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

we had the same issue with a roller master hitting the oil pump. Had the spacers it came with as well