Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Cam For SetUp

Old 09-11-2006, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Cam For SetUp

I just ordered an LS6 Intake Manifold and will be p&p my throttle body very soon. I was looking into getting a ms4 for my setup. Just wondering if this is a good cam for my setup or not. I was looking at getting the tsp camshaft, prc spring kit & pushrod package. Would this be everything for a cam install besides a good tune? Sorry for the noob ? but Im new to the cam world. Thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not the most knowledgeable guy around here but I'll give it a shot. The PRC springs and chromoly rods will be fine but you will need new lifters due to the shear size of the cam. I would also reccomend a heavy duty timing chain set and a blueprinted or at least shimmed oil pump. Everything I have heard about the MS4 tells me it's a good cam but, to get the full power that it has to offer your gonna need a good set of heads to match it. Do some research around the sight you'll find all the info you need.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:54 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to check out the cam guide for a better grasp on cams. What are you going to be primarily doing with the car? I hope you know that the MS4 is non-smog compliant. Typically all you need is cam/springs/pushrods and a new crankbolt. You plan on doing the install yourself?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:57 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Rothman
I'm not the most knowledgeable guy around here but I'll give it a shot. The PRC springs and chromoly rods will be fine but you will need new lifters due to the shear size of the cam. I would also reccomend a heavy duty timing chain set and a blueprinted or at least shimmed oil pump. Everything I have heard about the MS4 tells me it's a good cam but, to get the full power that it has to offer your gonna need a good set of heads to match it. Do some research around the sight you'll find all the info you need.
you really don't need to replace lifters. I would do that if you ever take the heads off to replace them as well. If you have over 100k on the clock then you might want to check into doing a heads and cam package so you can get in there and replace them with some newer ones. The timing chain is easy, get the LS2 chain and use the stock crank/cam gears. You don't need all that double roller heavy duty stuff. The oil pump can just be a new LS6 pump and only needs to be shimmed when using a double roller. That can also cause a clearance problem in some cases with the timing cover. You really don't even need to replace it at all, but it might behoove you since you will have it right in front of you.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

I dont have to worry about smog. My car is regisdtered in VA where there is no smog test. I dont really drive the car that much. A few times during the week and maybe a little cruise on the weekends. I plan on doing heads but a littles ways into the future. I only have 58000 on the clock. So that package is good and all I would need to get is an LS2 timing chain and a LS6 oil pump. Now one more thing, I plan on driving the car home to VA in April. Is this going to be possible with the MS4, since its so aggresive? Thanks for all the info orangeapeel.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:47 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

No problem man!

You plan on tuning the car eventually right? Sooner the better. You should be able to drive it, but you might have a suffering idle or bucking and surging with RPMS un-tuned. That is a long freaking trip too!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I know, but I want to take it home and park it before I go on deployment. I plan on getting it tuned right after the install.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by HoytVA
Yeah I know, but I want to take it home and park it before I go on deployment. I plan on getting it tuned right after the install.
Oh, if you are getting it tuned then you should be fine. Are you A4 or M6? You might need/want to think about a stall or gears....depending on which one you are.

*Edit* Just noticed that you are M6. The stock ratio 3.42's will work for getting you home and would probably get you way better gas mileage on the highway. Ultimately you are going to want to get a set of 3.73-4.10's eventually with a cam like that. Otherwise it will really be a dog down low.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

I plan on getting a Moser 9" with either 4.10 or 4.11 gears when I get back from deployment. Oops forgot to update my sig. Not much, but might help out a little. Especially with the cam.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Check my setup out HoytVA
Old 09-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Nice setup man, Im looking for a bigger cam.

Search this Thread