Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knick on the rod journal... what do I do, gah!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Knick on the rod journal... what do I do, gah!

My block in on the stand with the crank and and main caps in. I have the first 4 pistons in but I am taking then back out to put better piston rings in. I looked at the last rod journal and noticed some knicks from when I installed a piston/rod and it must have had some contact with the crank journal... They are not deep AT ALL, VERY VERY LIGHT. They almost look more like pits an I can just feel them with a fingernail. I dont want to pull it back apart and send it back out to get it machined again because I want it all assembled by this Friday. Will some polishing work? this is the first time Ive ever had this happen and dont know going about fixing it. What do you guys suggest?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bumpity for the night...
Old 09-13-2006, 04:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

if I'm reading this right, you put a nick or two in the rod journal on the crankshaft when installing the rods? This is bad, and wil likely result in your pulling the engine out again later to replace all this stuff again (every time you start the car its going to act like a cheese grater on your bearings). IMO, pull the crank, send it out to get polished, put oversized bearings on that journal, and next time put covers over the rod bolts when you put it in the motor. Even some fuel line or something will work...
Old 09-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Staging Lane

Pics might be helpful.

Ryan
Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No need for pulling the crank (assuming its a small nick)

Best to get a fine needle file (small...usually about .375 wide) and carefully dress the burr/nick so that it is completely flat and level with the rest of the journal. Use a straight edge like a razor blade to check that it won't hang up on it at all if you run the straight edge across it. The key to the end result is that the nick is the same level or lower than the journal. Its OK if there is a pit on the journal, but it's imperative there isnt any metal raised that could potentially catch the bearing which is only a thou away. To be really sure youve knocked it down enough you could mic the journal in a good spot and then mic the journal over the nick.....it should give you the same or a slightly smaller dimension.

Hope this helps...

Tony
Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is exactly what I was thinking, thanks for confirming my thoughts! I had a feeling it would be okay if it was "pitted" and just was smooth enough so it wouldnt eat into the bearing. I take it you've come across this before?

Quick Reply: Knick on the rod journal... what do I do, gah!