Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Degreeing cam, need reliable dial indicator

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Degreeing cam, need reliable dial indicator

I'm going to degree a cam on an LS6 with the motor out of the car. Can't get easier than that! I just need a reliable dial indicator. I have a degree kit from Comp Cams and while it's been over a year since I used it, I seem to remember having difficulty getting the dial indicator perfectly aligned with the rocker/pushrod.

Is there a dial indicator you guys use that works real well with LS engines? I know I could probably modify the dial indicator to bolt somewhere into the head that would make it work perfectly, but I don't have the time right now and would rather just buy one that will work well out of the box.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

I should clarify. I also tried measuring at the retainer. The problem was the indicator stand would not reliably bolt into any place on the head/motor where I could get a consistent reading. Was hoping there would be a simple stand or indicator set you guys use that would just bolt up and work properly.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Comp (and others) make a little "tool" that you can install the dial indicator into, and then the tool goes into the lifter bore. LS1s use a standard SBC size lifter (bore) so any tool like that will work. I made a flat plate to bolt to another cylinder and thus let my mag base clamp to for both checking TDC and checking the lift (I have extentions for my dial indicators).
Old 09-13-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a simple bracket that bolts to the block using a shortened old head bolt and then the stand that comes with the comp degree bolts right to that. Simple s shape with a hole at each end.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jegs should have what you are looking for.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DaddySS
I made a simple bracket that bolts to the block using a shortened old head bolt and then the stand that comes with the comp degree bolts right to that. Simple s shape with a hole at each end.
Good tip. I made a bracket out of an old gear puller extension. Now I can use a head bolt or rocker bolt to hold the assembly in place reliably. Thanks.