Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Guru's (Tony, Brian, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head Guru's (Tony, Brian, etc.)

Rather than PMing all of you individually and asking this question I thought I would get it in the open for everyones benefit. I am wanting to switch to an udjustable valvetrain and am torn between the simplicity and lower cost options of stud mounted conversions or expensive shaft mounted options which also require high $$$ valve covers or spacers so I have a question. It seems the largest drawback to the stud mounted conversion style rockers is the relatively small stock rocker bolt which does not offer much rigidity to the rocker. Would it be possible to have your heads manufactured with say a 7/16 rocker stud hole instead of the factory 8mm or whatever it is so that a more conventional type stud could be used? I realize this can always be done by a competent machine shop after the fact, but figured it would be even more true if completed by the same machine that would be making the stock size holes and if offered as an option by one of you I would imagine it would be less costly as well. Just though I would ask.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think stud rigidity is moot since the rockers sit on stands anyway. Other than breaking the bolt, which I haven't heard of.....
Old 09-14-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock valvetrain can handle pretty decent spring loads, and a lot of ppl here run the stock rockers without problems. Why are you looking into more hardcore parts? Just wondering what you plan is, to see if you can save some money by skipping the stuff you don't need to upgrade.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT...kinda curious myself.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mr2guru
I think stud rigidity is moot since the rockers sit on stands anyway. Other than breaking the bolt, which I haven't heard of.....
With the stock rockers I would tend to agree with you but I am talking about with the aftermarket adjustable conversion rockers. I am fairly certain when you convert to the Comp Pro Magnums or the Cranes you do away with the stands leaving the stud to prevent flex alone.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Grimes
The stock valvetrain can handle pretty decent spring loads, and a lot of ppl here run the stock rockers without problems. Why are you looking into more hardcore parts? Just wondering what you plan is, to see if you can save some money by skipping the stuff you don't need to upgrade.
I do not doubt that I could get away with using the stock parts with what I have in mind, but I tend to go slightly to the extreme once I decide to change something. Plus I would like to be able to use the push rod length to compensate for valvetrain geometry and an adjustable rocker to set valve lash. I guess I am kinda old school like that.