Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what could have happened when I bent my rods

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what could have happened when I bent my rods

First day driving decently hard on new cam and heads. Spring on the right side of my pro 5.0 went out while shifting now it pulls to first and secon. needless to say it went into second instead of fourth doin about 90. Instant ticking and knocking. I know i bent some rods. Do you guys think the lifters and such will be alright. I'm going to tear it down again tonight, just trying too see what all I should be lookin for.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:20 PM
9 Second Club

Basicly if the P to V is close you could have bent valves if its a big *** cam. Id say replace them and start her up and see if everything is allright. I have replaced bent pushrods before for missed shifts and the cars ran fine. Note: I just noticed these are hardened pushrods I would check everything really closely!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

will do. Yeah they are hardened chromoly rods. I should have plenty of p/v clearance. It still had lots of power just a noticeable ticking. I'm thinking and praying that my valves are fine. But, I guess we'll see. Do you think the lifters could have ate it as well?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

If you have hardened pushrods they probably didn't bend. They'll ruin everything else before bending which means collapsed lifters and bent valves. I'd pull the heads off and definately fix the shifter too.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do I know if the lifters are collapsed? I don't really want to pull the heads back off. If my p/v clearance is good do you think it still could have bent a valve? So the pushrods should be okay then?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:08 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rothman
How do I know if the lifters are collapsed? I don't really want to pull the heads back off. If my p/v clearance is good do you think it still could have bent a valve? So the pushrods should be okay then?
You will destroy the pushrods/valves before you damage the lifters. If your pushrods are fine, you're going to have some bent valves. Try a leakdown/compression test before you pull the heads.

Which valvesprings/retainers are you running? 2nd at 90 shouldn't be too too bad unless you have 4.11 gears.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay fellas got my passenger valve cover off too look at the carnage. One of my rockers came loose. like rediculously loose, I'm thinking that's all it was. It only over reved for a split second. Do you think I could have gotten away with something as simple as a rocker coming loose? It was ticking just a lil before it over reved. It seemed to drive fine for about a minute afterward and then it started ticking worse and worse. No real noticeable loss of power though.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

stock gears 918 comp springs. Not sure what retainers.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:20 PM
That's what she said...

Stock gears at 90mph in 2nd is right at 7000rpms. I'd check the driver side too.

I like to make a pass at 22ft/lbs on them, then rotate the crank about 90*, re-check, then do it again. if some of the lifters are sitting on the lobes, the valvespring is applying some artificial tension on the rocker arm bolt.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

everything drivers side checked out good. just torquin the cap screws down now. We'll see what happens when I get it all back together I guess. I should be able to rev 7000 without hurting it I'd imagine. Cross your fingers for me!
Old 09-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Trunion King

I have yet to see your beasty formula. Maybe sometime eh?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll be driving it a lot more now. What color is your camaro? What kinda wheels?

Tightened the rocker down threw it back together and all is good in the world of the fromy. My god, I tought I screwed up my baby.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Trunion King

I'll be driving it a lot more now. What color is your camaro? What kinda wheels?

Tightened the rocker down threw it back together and all is good in the world of the fromy. My god, I tought I screwed up my baby.
Pewter rolling on stock chrome 16s.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:21 AM
That's what she said...

Sweeeeet. I wouldn't take her to 7k again without some bigger valvesprings and new rodbolts. The '98 rod bolts are notorious for making a spectacular uninstall about halfway down the track.