Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure problem/oil pump?

Old 09-20-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pressure problem/oil pump?

Hey guys, I just got my LS2 in my 05 GTO back together today after replacing a broken piston (detonation) and bent pushrods (over rev). Got it all done and fired up and the valvetrain is noisy as hell and I'm barely getting any oil up top. I do not have a gauge on the car to check pressure, but there is obviously an issue. I pulled the pan again to check the o ring on the pick up and basic stuff, I even pulled the rod caps to make sure the bearings weren't running dry. O ring, pickup, oil pan gasket, etc. were all good and bearings looked fine with what appeared to be plenty of oil going to them (but the car has not been driven, just idled- not going to risk blowing it up obviously).

I know these cars have oil pump issueds, but I can't see it being good prior to parking it last week and being bad now. But- is it possible something in the pump broke when it was over revved (~8400 on a mis shift)? Also, when I was doing the ARP's and rotating the crank with a socket, I would hear a "click" that sounded like it was coming from the oil pump area with every rotation, but I just assumed it was because there was no oil in the pump and the pickup and such were off, maybe not....

Is it possible to pull the pump without dropping the pan on this motor? Is it possible there is a broken bypass spring or something? Or- should I be looking elsewhere? I would hook a gauge up to check pressure, but it is obvious it has to come apart anyway.

Last thought- I bought Trick Flow pushrods from Summit (stock cam, springs, etc. so I didn't need anything crazy)- any known issue with them? Although, they should be fine- the length was the same, etc.

I just figured I'd ask those who have had the engine apart and/or had oil pump issues before going much further. Just odd that it was fine last week before I dropped the pan and did the piston, ARP rod bolts and pushrods . Thanks.
Joe

Last edited by kwiksilverz; 09-21-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody?
Joe

Search this Thread