Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking Noise From header!/ Pinging from motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Bad Trader Warning!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Noise From header!/ Pinging from motor

I have a CTS-V with the LS6. I have stainless works headers and magnaflow exhaust. I have a ticking noise that is comming from the collecter in the header. I have been told by my local shop that it's normal. I can't stand it! It makes it sound like I have no oil in the car. They were not Jet coated or anything. If I had them coated would this go away? The guys with kooks headers don't have this problem.
I also have been told I need to upgrade my fuel injectors. How do I tell if I need to do this? I have friends with more HP than me still using stock injectors. I wanted to up my nitrous to a 150 shot. They are always busy at this shop so I feel like they are just busy. They have pulled so much timing out that my RWHP has gone from427 to 406. I still have detanation(pinging) on low RPM starts. All of this is with no spray! Worse thing is car is so loud on WOT with spray I have no idea if I have pinging. Do I need a new shop or make them take the time to do a dyno tune again?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question Sounds like..

You need to find a new shop.. fast.
There's no reason for that engine to behave like it is, unless you have "wounded" it.
As for the exh header.. could be a leak at the weld, at the end of the tube[s], where the collector is installed.
I'd take a stethescope, and listen at each exh tube, near the heads, & see if you can pick up an odd noise.

The coating on the headers won't "make" the noise go away.. You need to find the real cause[s].
As for the injectors, is the NOS a dry shot?
Have you done any datalogging with a scan tool, such as EFIlive?
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Check FP at WOT, and see what's going on. Could be a pump is going "south"??

Getting a bit more in-depth:
1. Compression check.
2. Leakdown test.
3. Check entire valvetrain.
4. What do the plugs look like?
Here's what you can use as a comparison:
http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/sparkplugreading.html

A methodical search will get the corrections made.. Without going back to the "old shop"...

Last edited by Old Geezer; 09-21-2006 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise From header!/ Pinging from motor