Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with Dart heads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problems with Dart heads?

I've seen numerous people mention "problems with Dart heads" and I'm just wondering:
What problems are there or have there been?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Only problem I have ever seen was when a vendor was porting them, they were using oil. Out of the box, they have produced good results and no problems. I haven't had any problems at all with mine, oil usage is nil.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the and love them and put down decent numbers
Old 09-21-2006, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Would you guys buy them again today, given the current market for heads?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would as I think they compare favorably to other heads in the same price range for performance and have a thicker more robust casting then ported GM castings. There have also been a few guys who have had rocker bases break due to the thinner walls of ported stock heads. Not saying that is the norm, but it is something I thought about before deciding what to go with. With the Darts you also get PSI nitrided beehive valve springs, light valves, good seals, titanium retainers and machined locks. Not sure how you can go wrong. If you are looking for every last HP, then AFR, TFS, etc. might be worth looking into but they also command more money because they are CNC ported. I got my heads for under $1,300 and used the savings to upgrade my lifters to Morel's and still came out ahead. I was also trying to maximize my performance under 6K RPM so the small ports were something I was looking for as well as the smaller chamber that boosted the compression without cutting the head or decreasing the PV clearance (although the Darts have less drop than stock). There really isn't a magic solution, you need to decide what you want now and in the future. I figure when Dart introduces their CNC program for these heads, if I really wanted to I could remove them and have them gone over.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Vettenuts, YGPM.