Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out these nasty plugs. New problem now.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Check out these nasty plugs. New problem now.

I pulled these plugs from my friend's 95 lebaron v6 with 150k on the clock. What is going on in this engine, other than the fact that these needed to be replaced much sooner? They all have white crap all over them and check out number 6 in particular, the friggin electrode was almost gone. Any clues as to what's going on there?

On a related note, I put some new NGK v-power's in there gapped at the stock .044 and the car ran much smoother. Well, now a couple days later, the car seems to have a little bit of a pulsing idle to the point where if you slightly hold down the brakes it will pulsingly lurch forward. What could that be and why would that start happening right after a plug change? I made sure all the plugs boots were snug and reconnected all the hoses I took off. There was one hose on the bottom of the air filter box that looked like it was a sort of oil drain for where the pcv entered the air filter box and I couldn't find another connection for the opposite end so I assumed it was just vented to the air for oil overflow/vapor. That was the only hose in question though. Any thoughts?

I appreciate the help as it's still internal engine stuff though not quite a camaro.
Attached Thumbnails Check out these nasty plugs. New problem now.-img_0970small.jpg   Check out these nasty plugs. New problem now.-img_0971small.jpg   Check out these nasty plugs. New problem now.-img_0972small.jpg  
Old 09-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldnt really see any white stuff in the pics.. But sometimes ppl put anti seize cream on the plugs to make it easier to come out. Other then that they looked kinda burnt to **** so i dont know how ur friend drives but if he left them in there for 50k miles or so lol and is driving it at high RPMs alot i guess it would make them burn to **** really quick. And of course if its burnt oil on them then try changin the valve cover gasket along with the spark plug gaskets that seal in the valve cover to stop from oil gettin on the plugs.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

The white stuff is best seen caked on the top of the plug in picture #1 (with the dissolved electrode). I'm pretty sure it's not anti-seize as I don't think it could/would get to that part of the plug.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I forgot to mention that it's more of an erratic idle than a pulsing idle as a pulse would indicate it has some sort of rhythm to it and it does not. It just kinda shakes around a bit, drops 50 rpm, comes back up, etc.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:04 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Hypnotiq
I couldnt really see any white stuff in the pics.
You were totally looking in the wrong spot man!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:10 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Looks like detonation to an extent man.

Look at this: http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingg...colorchart.htm
Old 09-21-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm just wondering what would cause that though? I know what causes lean conditions or detonation on our cars but no clue what it could be on this type of car. I'm pretty sure it requires lowest grade octane so it couldn't be that too low of an octane was used. She just got this car a couple weeks ago and don't have much info about how it was driven before so we're a bit in the dark.

Also clueless on the erratic idle unless the ISC (or IAC) went bad conveniently at the same time.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

it looks like it is running very lean to me and that is specs of piston on the plugs.one thing is for sure=something needs fixed pretty soon or damage will surely happen.will a faulty sensor cause it to run lean ?
edit=on second look the plugs don't look as bad as i originally thought,specs of piston are worse looking than those plugs are.i'm an idiot
Old 09-22-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check fuel pressure
Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUTTERERMAN85
check fuel pressure
Yep check for vac. leaks too.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Teching In

plugs have fuel deposits and some slite oil burning. nothin serious. at 150k it's to be exected. they burn the trods off the longer they're in there. which looks be be quite some miles.
them 3.0 ltrs were know for valve guide problems. the guides would slide out of the press fit in the head and burn oil like a sieve and smoke worse. you'll know if this is the problem. can you say smoke screen?

i've had problems with "v" or spitfire plugs, some engines like them some don't. some would idle like crap, and others would spit sputter under load.
i suspect you're loose vacuum hose is causing you're problem. take a better look at all the vacuum lines. with that kinda mileage you're bound to have a few cracked or soft ones. open vacuum lines will cause a surging idle.

how's the plug wires look? hard and brittle? any rust inside the boots at the plugs or the dist. cap ends? maybe the coil wire? coil wires are the first to go. high resistance in the wires will cause a miss at idle speeds and/or/can run fine at cruising speeds.
i don't remember, but i think those engines use the plug wire ends for the dist. cap treminals. could have bent one and the rotor whacked it.
clean the mung off the throttle plate with some carb cleaner.

whats the oil look like? has it been changed properly? sticky gooey crankcase? could be a valve hanging up from carbon build up on the port side.

as allways start with a good visual inspection, which i've outline a few starters for ya. check the compression, probably have some valve leakage. check fuel pressure and volume. a plugged and restricted fuel filter can also be the culprit. could also have some clooged injectors. don't use the pour in the tank crap less you want to replace the fuel pump. get a good "power type" flush. spray a little carb cleaner around the intake to check for vacuum leaks. the engine has 150k don't expect it to run to good eh!

she the lady at the checkout window. 1.0hr diagnostic's $80 bucks. and didn't fix *hit!
tank jew comb again'.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know this thing isn't going to run perfect with 150k, I mean.... it's a Chrysler But, I would like to get it running its best. Plug wires actually look good. It looks like they were replaced somewhat recently. Oil has recently been changed and looks great. I'm sure the fuel filter could certainly stand to be replaced, but I'll have to check that out. What is this power type injector flush? I've run injector cleaner on a couple cars with no problems caused. Also, how do I check fuel pressure on this car? It's not as simple as just connecting it to the rails on our cars... or is it?