Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you put on your LS1 head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you put on your LS1 head gaskets?

I just tore the engine down and found on the pass side bank that the "front", stamped on the gasket, was facing the back, BUT, "this side up" was up. Hmmm, now, either you have the "front" facing foward but the "this side up" facing down, or, "this side up" and the front facing the back?????

I have not looked too far into the head gaskets, but, is there a specific head gasket for a specific side?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1howto.com, H/C swap section covers the two gm type gaskets, 1 set is side specific and 1 set is universal.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am there, thanks.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:01 PM
FormerVendor

Front goes to the front, whether its upside down or not.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks sled, they didnt say what was what on the site, just to "watch how the gaskets go", unless I missed it somewhere.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:14 PM
FormerVendor

there is water ports in the gaskets at the rear of the gasket... Where it says front it should have nothing there. If you put even one backwards it'll over heat.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long did it take you to tear down the motor to get at the gaskets? I am looking at having to do that in the spring. Hopefully my cylinders aren't full of coolant from a failed head gasket(s)
Old 09-24-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

took me about 5 hours or so, but, I have it COMPLETLY stripped. No AC etc. I had to pop off the steering universal joint thingy so I could get a bar between the manifold and head because the bolts would not come out past the manifold. Is a lot easier with everything outta the way, but, if your just going afetr the heads, probably 2.5 hours going at it gung ho. One thing I know is that removing the A.I.R(?) tubes make all the differance in the world....a must do if you have them.

If they are, or you think there leaking, I would drain the radiator and block as much as possible, and refill with solid coolant. Run the engine for a few to warm up, drain and refill again 2 or 3 times. There will be so much antifreeze in there by then, NOTHING would rust.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well thanks a lot for the reply. Sounds like my buddy and I won't have any trouble at all. Hopefully get her done in less then 8 hours. That's torn down, and put back together with coolant topped off and ready to RACE !
Old 09-25-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLED28
Front goes to the front, whether its upside down or not.
Since the heads are identical, and one is going to be reversed, I would think the front and back are meeningless. Whats front on one head will be back on the other side of the motor. Top and bottom would be more important in making sure teh correct cooalnt passages got teh correct holes in the gasket.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

no it has to go to front, whether its upside down or not. The heads are the same, but the block isn't The block has the water passages at the back on both sides. Have a look at these gaskets, you can see the two water holes on the left side of the gaskets.... Thats the holes that have to to match the block at the back.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I see what you mean... I looked at some old pics i had from last time i had my heads off, and yeah, those coolant passages at the back of the block would require a front/rear orientation.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

having the pass gasket reversed like that, how bad would that screw the block if driven on?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

You would overheat in 10 or 15mins, possibly just idiling it will overheat.. . And depending on how hot it got, it could warp the heads, scuff the pistons, scratch the cylinder walls, blow a head gasket.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I need to check things out when I get home, but, heads will be replaced as some of the valve stem tips look all worn all funky. One of them even looks like it has a depressionin it , so, my main concern would be for the block. Engine ran quiet as a mouse, so, not too many concerns on the bottom end, but, scuffing ehy? Hmm, the side with the reversed gasket looked damn good and the drivers side looked worn, lol?? Will have to go out with a good flashlight tonight and check the bores to see how they are. What does cylinder coring look like? Are we talking excessive/accelerated but normal(?) looking wear, scuffing like shearing metal or all of the above? I am fairly sure I can figure out what looks "abnormal" but I never really had "scuffing" *pointed out* to me
Old 09-25-2006, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

it could scuff cause the piston since if it overheats it will expand and start losing clearance and possibly scuff the walls. Do you know what temp you hit? Unless you drove it for a little while hot, you should be ok.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

All this talk made me start to second guess myself about did I put the Gasket in wrong. But it hasnt come close to overheating once. HEHE Silly mind playing tricks on me.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I never drove it on the street long enough fo rit t fully warm up. When I looked at it, it was driven for 5 minutes from cold. It had preassure but I carefully pulled the cap. Nothing came out and nothing was bubbling. I then reved it up good and still no bubbles or gurgling. When I got it home, 4 hours back, I warmed it up REAL good and thats when I noticed it missing in the exhaust and a vibration in the hose, like the hose was missing a beat, lol. When I pulled the cap, thats when it was purculating. Not bad as it really didnt blow any water out past the outter neck, but, definitley not normal. Before I popped the cap off though, The fans were on, then, they finally shut off for the most part. The paas side fan was on real slow but maybe thats because I have a computer issue to deal with? Not sure if the temp guage is correct, but, it was pegged over about 1/4" from the red zone. I am not sure how long the other bozo drove it for.

Interesting I was looking at it during lunch. The pass side cylinders, the one with the wrongly placed gasket, looked fresh, as if a new motor, the drivers side cylinders looked worn, but not galled or any thing. There is oil and water in the cylinders and when I cranked it over, there wasnt any real bad straks on the cylinder, indicating galled rings, if you know what I mean.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You may have lucked out then. But you can never tell if you have bad rings until you run a compression test.
Front should always goto the front but still it should say side up on both sides. If not then you may have a set that arent side specific, the only way is to check the part numbers on them. They should both say front and this side up and that is how they should fit. I believe some even say left or right, I know Ford does that.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, like I was saying, my main concern is for the block itself, as I am going to get some new heads cause the valve tips look worn funky, I just hope the block was not warped so I get a good seal when I put the new gaskets and heads on. As long as the block is okay, I am.................semi............happy.

It looks as though he got two drivers side gaskets......DOH!!

Quick Reply: How do you put on your LS1 head gaskets?