Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS1... Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LS1... Low oil pressure

I just put an LS1 with a 224/224 comp cam earlier today in my silverado and the oil pressure is running kinda low and a couple of lifters are loud. I haven't drove it much bc i'm waiting on my tune from nelson to come in tomorrow hopefully. Any reason why the oil pressure would be low and lifters being noisy? Maybe the re-tune will help out and fix those problems.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure you're hearing the lifters and not valves tapping the pistons? If you installed it a tooth off the valves could be tapping the pistons which could easily be mistaken for noisy lifters. Could also be imrproper preload on the lifters, rocker bolts not torqued down correctly, or could just be extra noise from not enough oil getting up there if you say you have low pressure. Did you replace the pump? You could have pinched the o-ring causing low pressure.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Well at first we finished the motor and then started it up and we forgot to put this plug in the back of the motor so there was no oil pressure at all. We had to go back and pull the tranny and put that little plug back in and now when I drive the pressure is around 40 on the guage. I'll see how it does with the re-tune but I might need a higher flowing oil pump.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ah, now I remember that thread. The reason things could be noisy is you ran the engine without having oil pressure. A number of things could have happened. Easiest thing to do would be to pull the valve covers and check out the valvetrain before you drive it anymore.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Arreguy01
Well at first we finished the motor and then started it up and we forgot to put this plug in the back of the motor so there was no oil pressure at all. We had to go back and pull the tranny and put that little plug back in and now when I drive the pressure is around 40 on the guage. I'll see how it does with the re-tune but I might need a higher flowing oil pump.

I had this exact problem on an oldmobile before. The machinist forgot to put in an internal oil gallery plug. I did not run it long before I figured it out. I got it in but the damage was done. It developed a rod knock, took out the crank.

Good luck, you may need it
Old 09-25-2006, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Ah, now I remember that thread. The reason things could be noisy is you ran the engine without having oil pressure. A number of things could have happened. Easiest thing to do would be to pull the valve covers and check out the valvetrain before you drive it anymore.
If I didn't measure the pushrods bc I got the hardend ones to accomadate the cam would that be the problem if they weren't the same length.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Improper size pushrods could certainly cause excessive noise, as well as improperly torqued rocker bolts. You should most likely be using the stock length 7.400" pushrods assuming you have stock heads.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

I'm gonna check it out tomorrow and figure it out hopefully. Just hope it isn't something major bc it isn't that bad, it was real loud at first and has gotten alot quieter just dont think it's getting that much oil up on top.