Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i kill myself now or when i get the bill?

Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should i kill myself now or when i get the bill?

Well i had a new shortblock about 3 weeks ago, and i had it sitting in my truck while i was away on a trip. Go to tak ea look at it today and the decks are shot and 2 of the cylinder walls have a lil surface rust on em that feels raised when i run my finger across it. It will deffinatly need to be decked it rusted alot on the decks. Shouldnt it have had some kinda oil on the shotblock to keep this from happening? It was still wrapped up in the plastic as delivered and i noticed it rustng through th plastic and pull it back to see the mess i have. Ill try to get some pics up tomm. I sprayed some wd40 on it to hopefully keep it from getting worse. Anyone have any advice? Should the motor have been delivered without any kinda oil or something o it to keep it from rusting so damn quick? It was bone dry raw iron (iron block)???
Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldnt have left it in the bed of the truck dude. Not the shops fault you left it out in the weather.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

It wasnt in the bed of a pickup, it was in the back of my tahoe. Nice and dry as my garage if not dryer? It sat wrapped in the plastic as i got it when it was delivered to me, one side was a lil torn open when i got the motor from the shop (the place i got my motor from is a middle man they dont assemble them) apparently someone took a peek before i took delivery. And these areas are the ones mainly rusted, i pulled the plastic closed as much as possible, and put a blanket over the motor while it sat in the truck while i was out of town. But it still rusted.

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 09-26-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know nothing of the sort when it comes to buying shortblocks and how they are delivered but it certainly sounds like you didn't do anything wrong... who did you get it from?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

Speed Inc.

I took some scotchbrite pads and trans fluid to it and the decks may be fine now. Gotta look at it again in the light tomm. Im more worriedabout the 2 bores i found some rust in though. I lightly hit em with teh scotchbrite pads and got alotta the rust off but still feels a slightbit raised when i run my finger across it. Im gonna call teh shop tomm, and have em look at it in the next few days. Hopefully i caught it in time. Decks had what seemed to be a good layer of rust on it, but all came off and feels smooth again, dont even notice anything running my nail across the deck now i think. Still a lil tired and pissed though i gotta look at it better like i said. Im confident that if there is a problem that speed would help me resolve it.

This is BBBSS again just logged onto my buddie saccount on hiss pputer by accident.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:36 AM
NKAWTG...N

Give Speed a call. You probably should have done that before even make a thread about it. Always go straight to the source. That and Speed is well known for having excelent customer service.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Give Speed a call. You probably should have done that before even make a thread about it. Always go straight to the source. That and Speed is well known for having excelent customer service.

very true, but he didn't make the thread to put blame on anybody and didn't point any fingers. But the next step and prolly the first step would definitly be to contact speed inc and explain the situation, and see how they want to approach the situation.

Seeing as they normally have great customer service i'm sure you wont be dissapointed, but to the plus side, he started this thread with no bias, so he can update us on how this is resolved and it can definitly turn out as a positive to the manufacturer, **** happens its the aftermath that matters

but good luck to you man, i know you must have spent some hard earned cash on your setup i can feel your pain... well maybe not, not feeling a whole of lot of ne thing right now... but in the morning, yea, i'll prolly be feeling your pain...
Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just clean it up. Nothing is hurt.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Just throw it away and buy a new one.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Just throw it away and buy a new one.

...right and let me just get you that trash can...
Old 09-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Banned

We can take a look at it for you, just give us a call. It's always a bad idea to leave bare metal parts outside, even if not directly exposed to the elements. Humidity alone can cause it to start developing superficial rust, let alone rust from rain.

IF it was indoors, as it should have been, there wouldnt be a problem though.

Call us, or bring it by.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

It was in the back of my tahoe not out in the rain. (im not that retarded, at least i hope not!) Nice newer truck, not an old leaky mess of a truck or something that leaked water in it like my old bronco lol. Truck was sitting sealed up for 3 weeks while i was out of town. Ill give you guys a call in a lil bit im at work now just checking to see if there were any updates, i think its still saveable but i want some advice from people that know. Im mostly conscerned about the bores. The decks cleaned up quite well it seems.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

Regardless, just bring it by, and we will take a look at it. WE are here until 8 tonight.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Ill stop by tomm before work, what time do you open? Im stuck at work till 10pm tonight
Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned

we open officially at 9, but Larry is here by 8.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Ill try to stop by around 8-9. Thats a hell of a response time to this thread too, im impressed lol.

Search this Thread