Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning block

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning block

The tool used for cleaning the block prior to re-installing the heads, the one that you can attach to an air tool (the one GM uses), anyways, is there anyway possible the it could remove material from the block? Remove enough to ruin the block? I was told this by a machine shop. The told me that the tool I used ruined the block and I looked at them like I'm not an engine builder or machinst by any means, but I think that is a bunch of bull.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you can ruin it! i see it all the time, even dealerships - they use cookies or abbrasive disks on a rotary sander. the best thing you can use is a razor blade or very sharp scraper. of course, dont dig into the block... youll get use to it.

another good idea to use is sandpaper (240 or higher) on a softblock or on something flat and stiff.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plastic scraper/razor blade for the big stuff, then scotchbrite and elbow grease. I use those rotary sanders on air tools to take down hard *** weld slag, so if your not carefull you can **** up aluminum in a hurry.