Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aluminum block rust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum block rust?

will the block for an ls1 rust on you? getting ready to build a motor and i have the block, but the rest of the parts will take a couple of months to a year to get the dough together. if i just bag it and leave it in the garage, do i need to worry about rust? are there special bags or rust inhibitors (but what about the intricate oil/coolant channelings?)??
Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adnectere
will the block for an ls1 rust on you? getting ready to build a motor and i have the block, but the rest of the parts will take a couple of months to a year to get the dough together. if i just bag it and leave it in the garage, do i need to worry about rust? are there special bags or rust inhibitors (but what about the intricate oil/coolant channelings?)??
The only thing that will rust is the sleeves. Spray them with WD40 and bag it, it will be fine. Before the motor is built you should remove all the coolant plugs and find a shop with an aluminum vat, get it dipped and steam cleaned.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Aluminium doesn't rust.

It can still be affected by oxidation though. I'd try and protect any exposed internal surfaces as best you can.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

just put it wherever, and when you have all your parts together have the block honed and cleaned
Old 10-02-2006, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

It's going into a 427 but by the time I get the money for everything I didn't want it to be shot lol. Glad to hear about things - I don't think the sleeves matter b/c they're getting bored out. 300 bhp/ton - how best to protect against oxidation - and doesn't that happen on aluminum against non-aluminum parts? ie a steel nail through an aluminum post will make the post look rusted...so does this happen to the block?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

Electrolysis is the reaction between steel and aluminium.

No aluminium can degrade in a similar manor to steel but its just not rust. The outer block will be fine, as it has no more protection when installed in a car. Are the heads on the block?

Personally I'd just spray an oil like WD40 over any exposed surfaces, plug any of the holes with a rag. And cover the enitre block in a large sheet or rag. If the heads are off I'd probably put a rag over the topes of the bores and face which is also covered in oil. This will most likely prevent any long term damage. And just store it in a dry place.

If the sump is still on I'd probably leave what oil there is in it. The block will probably be quite robust, but a little thought should ensure it doesn't cost a fortune to get it back to this state in 12 months time.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt Electrolysis hair removal? Are you thinking of galvanic reaction?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Not too sure if its a miss-use of word or not.

Electrolysis is certainly used to descripbe the affect of aluminium, steel and water. The aluminium turns to a white powder. This is common on Land Rovers as they use aluminium body work.

Whether this is an incorrect decription I honestly don't know.

Quick Reply: aluminum block rust?