Build bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Build bottom end?

Quick questions. Setup is as follows:
~Patriot 243 heads milled .020" w/ cometic .040 head gaskets
~Trak cam w/ PRC duals and Ferrea valves (2.02"/1.57")
~Fast 90 intake manifold/NW throttle body

I am planning on getting all internals balanced, replacing all bearings (cam/mains/rods) along w/ bottom end hardware. My question is that if the engine checks out (crank is good, cylinder bore is on par w/ factory specs, etc.) should I just replace the piston rings and call it good or go ahead and replace the rods/pistons due to the fact that I am already going to have to flycut for ptv clearance? Also would this setup up my compression too much to still be able to run pump gas? Anything else I should change w/ this setup other than the basics (Oil pump, LS2 timing chain, bearings, gaskets and seals)?? Nitrous may be in the future, so keep that in mind....Thanks!

~Paul
Old 10-07-2006, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Bump! Any advice guys??
Old 10-07-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have the money go for it! It really depends on what you plan on doing to it. If you spray it the stock pistons wont hold up to it. The rods have been able to support over 500 HP. SDPC has some really good stroker kits out right now. If you dont spray it too mch and have a relatively low shot then I'd keep the stock bottom end for cost issues. Also while youre in there, replace the lifters its good insurance.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

crank is fine, connecting rods are decent, pistions are the weakest link in the chain, put forged pistons/ new rings in it and have the block honed