Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How audible is a collapsed lifter??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How audible is a collapsed lifter??

Today I had pulled off my lid, MAF etc. to clean the MAF and check for proper sealing of the bellow's etc to figure out why I was getting a semi choppy idle at startup. Well while I was under the hood I heard a weird sound, I dont think "ticking" is the right word, more like a rattling sound, the weird part is it would only happen like every 5 seconds, sometimes 10, etc. This doesnt sound like a collapsed lifter to me but I've never heard one before. I pulled my oil cap off and put my ear to it, obviously I could hear quite a bit, but I think thats just valvetrain clatter. Putting my ear upto the passenger side head it seemed to make the same type of noise as the driver side. My valve train is pretty loud for the baby cam I have, could my Crane Duals be part of the reason? Is this anything to worry about?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I had a lifter failure, not collapsed but the roller broke off and it didn't make much noise if at all. It did destroy the motor though with all the metal in it. Pull the covers and see if the springs, rockers and push rods look normal. Don't drive it until you check it out.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Do you know how it happend? This motor has about 30k on it, that kinda freaks me out, its my only driver.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcamp001
well, I had a lifter failure, not collapsed but the roller broke off and it didn't make much noise if at all. It did destroy the motor though with all the metal in it. Pull the covers and see if the springs, rockers and push rods look normal. Don't drive it until you check it out.
similiar thing happened to me. i drove in between two cars on my street so that one was one my left and the other on my right. when i would rev it to like 2000 or below, you could hear a huge tapping noise. pulled the heads off and a lifter was stuck in the bore. half the roller broke off, spilling the bearings and junk everywhere, ruining the motor. i had to pry that **** out, it wouldnt come out easily, it sucked. scratched the **** out of everything.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

What mods did you guys have with these cars?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

This is what I ended up with. The last picture is the only one that really looks weird, the very end has that distinct coloring in with clear seperation to the rest of the push rod. When I pulled the first one, the discoloration all over it freaked me out, but it seems its just oil or something, I remember them being like that when I did my cam on the old motor 30k ago. Do these look okay??? All the rocker arms seem fine, they ove fine, and the springs all looked good when I was unscrewing the rocker arms. I'd like to know ASAP as its almost 1 am here and I still have to get out to a 24/7 autozone and buy a TQ wrench (I don't usually work on my car at this house so I have no tools) and make it to work by 8:30 in the morning. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks

EDIT: I also rolled all the pushrods, checked the ends, and where they press against on the rocker arm, no strange marks or anything and there are no scratches on them that dig into the material itself, just sections where the caked on oil is and is not.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone?