Sponsored by:

Time for a new plan

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:42 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time for a new plan

Howdy all,

My LS1 is going to have to come out and be rebuilt (see here for details). Now I'm thinking about the future. I need a little help to decide what I'm going to do, when, and how.

First let me start with my final goal. I'd like to have a forged 408 pushing 12-15psi of boost from a D-1SC. This will obviously require a low compession ratio, and I would like to put some decent heads on it as well. The driveline is already prepared for decent power, so I'm only concerned with the power plant right now.

Since the stock LS1 needs to be rebuilt, I suppose I'll be getting the 408 now and then getting the Procharger in the more distant future. This brings up a lot of questions for me since I'm still kind of a newb and don't know a whole lot about the shortblock...

1) If I get a shortblock and try to run a good NA SCR (e.g. 11.5:1) how low will I be able to get the SCR when I get the Procharger without changing any internals? In other words, could I get back down to a SCR of 9.0:1 by changing just the heads, and head gaskets?
2) Since the 408 will have a bigger bore, will I be able to use my stock heads temporarily while I save up for new ones, or will I have to have the combustion chamber modified to handle the bigger bore?
3) What kind of things will have to be done to the short block before I can put it in the car? I'm not sure what all is typically included in an assembled shortblock and what will need to be added to it before it goes in the car.
4) What can I expect to get for my LS1 shortblock after I rebuild it and strip it down to make the 408 usable?
5) Will the sleeved LS2 blocks be capable of 750-800rwhp from the D-1SC, or are they liable to crack under that kind of pressure?
6) What recommendations do you guys have for the kind of internals I should be looking for given the end goals of forced induction and the temporary plans of running N/A?

Thanks in advance everyone.