Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the engine up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaning the engine up?

I am going to be doing my heads in amonth and just doing some research on types of cleaners for the block itself. I see that people are having good results with a ice scrapper getting the bigger stuff off and not scratching the block. What is a good liquid to use and what is not good to use.

I also need to clean up my ls6 intake as it has oil all over the inside. I am taking my time doing all of this and want to get as much off as possible. Just trying to see what people have had good luck with here.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Easy Off Over Cleaner, problem solved. let it sit on for a bit, take the block to the carwash and its cleaner than ever.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

any other ideas? I know there have been hundereds have gone thru what I am getting ready to do.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98REDZ
Easy Off Over Cleaner, problem solved. let it sit on for a bit, take the block to the carwash and its cleaner than ever.
I don't know that I would use oven cleaner. I realize you said let it sit for a bit, but I wouldn't want to chance the cleaner etching any of the machined surfaces.

There are several engine degreasers out there just for this purpose. Look at your local auto parts store. If it's that dirty anyways, it might be a good idea to pre-wash before you do the tear-down. The only thing worse than bloody knuckles are greasy-bloody knuckles.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

I have used mineral spirits, and finished off with acetone. Just don't spray into the alternator or sensor.

I used a wired brush as well.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

purple power, and a pressure washer, works wonders on aluminum, but you cant let it sit b/c its an acid and it will etch aluminum, spray it on and let it sit for about 2-3 sec's and blast away, but it works awsome.