Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I pull my heads? Opinions needed, please.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I pull my heads? Opinions needed, please.

Hello all,

I picked up my motor/transmission last night in Indy. Everything looked really good, the seller left the valvecovers off so he could prove he put on dual valvesprings, etc. Now, we load this up into my open trailer, strap it down, put a tarp over, tie it down, then put a strap over the tarp engine/trans combo. Now, I drive 2 hours north avoiding all rain and snow and get home. I back the trailer into my garage and my tarp is ******* shredded! There are little blue specs everywhere, in the rocker valley, on the valves, etc.

I know, smooth move on my part. It looks as if I could just blow most of them out if I use an air compressor, but I want to be sure that if any got under my heads I got them out. I have ARP headbolts, and I believe fel-pro gaskets. The motor has never been run obviously, so I think I can just pull the heads and reuse the gaskets. I think that's the best course of action....agree or disagree?

EDIT: What size bolts are required to put the LS1 on an engine stand?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Depending on what kind of head gaskets you have you cannot reuse them once that have been torqued down. I can't forsee any possible way that the tarp could get under the heads. There is a small chance it could have gone into the intake runners into a port that had an open valve and gotten into the combustion chamber but that is assuming there is no intake on the motor. I say clean it out good and if you are really worried take off the heads and clean that as well but buy some new head gaskets. As for the bolts I don't remember the exact size and I had trouble finding them but finally found them at O'reillys. Hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This is the advice I got from another guy on my V8 RX-7 board

If you have a good compressor you can remove the spark plugs and the intake/exhaust manifolds and blow that crap right out of there by sticking the air gun in the spark plug hole while someone hand turns the motor. I'd recommend this for people even if you don't suspect there to be stuff in there, I blew some soot and stuff out of mine...better out than in. It also helps if you have a shop vac on the intake port pulling while you blow the air in there.
And I found the bolts using the google search and then looked for LS1Tech links. Thanks Pete!
Old 10-12-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just take one of the bell housing bolts out and take it to your local hardware store to match them up...Of coursre its going to have to be longer
Old 10-12-2006, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

honestly you could probably leave all the little stuff in there and it wouldnt hurt the motor..

id suggest blowing everything off as good as you can and when you run the motor to change oil after like 20 miles or something, to make sure everything is out of it.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:19 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

thats why they make oil filters and that plastic tarp will burn just as good as any old hydrocarbon, you should be fine.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Haha, thanks all. This is me just being my paranoid self.

Search this Thread