Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Diagnos this problem please..

Old 10-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Diagnos this problem please..

Hi everyone. I have been making small posts the last two days trying to figure out what was wrong with my car. But now.. i am just gonna post exactly what is going on and see if you guys can help me out.

Here is what we are working with:

2001 camaro ss 346LS1

I brought my car to my guy and had him put on used TEA stage 3 heads (we think or thought they are milled but we are UNSURE), pistons flycut .100, and MS4 cam (brand new) with Comp OEM lifters (brand new) and the pushrods that came with the heads which are chromemoly 7.4's. The springs I am not sure exactly what they are. I called TSP and told them to send me springs that can handle the ms4 cam. Which they did and we installed them. Supporting mods like FAST 90 90 (new) and Meziere Electric Water Pump (new) have been installed.

Ok all is fine and dandy right? Wrong.

My guy calls me up to come down and hear the car. From outside the car.. it sounds badass (even though it is untuned). I take it for a ride and the valvetrain sounds like it is going to explode. Sounds like the rockers want to fall off. I expect ALOT of lope and a noisey valvetrain but not like this. Again, the valvetrain sounds like it is about to explode on me.

Ok... I bring her back to my guy. He understands and thinks it is normal for big cams but has his race car engine builder come check it out. He listens to it and thinks it is normal. THIS CANT BE NORMAL. TRUST ME.

I have him go over it again. No slack in the rockers and my guy does not think it needs different size pushrods.

I called TSP up and they said they think i need a different size pushrod. Ok.. no problem. What size? They dont know unless I know the preload on the lifters. I ask my guy how much preload and he doesnt know the exact number but says they are correct.

I emailed a few people on this board that has this cam and they dont have ANY problem like this. Although, they did not flycut the pistons. Which we did.

The mileage on this setup is about 5-10 miles right now.

Could it be that the comp oem lifters still need to pump up? Could it be the wrong size pushrods? What could this be?

Oh, my guy decided to put staight 50 weight in the car to shut her up but it did not work.

Please help me out. I cant keep going on with this car like this. I dont want to drive it in fear for hurting it and I am tired of dumping money into her.

Please help me out.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Steve.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Steve, most big cams make some noise, BUT if yours is that bad it has to be the preload on the lifters. You said you tried 15/50 synthetic oil right? It might take a hundred miles or more for the oil to make a difference.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

yeah I hear ya on the oil. But thats coming out. I dont want to mask the issue. I want to correct the issue.

I will have him pull that out immediately.

The damned preload numbers he doesnt know.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

Ok.. Here is the head information from TEA:

Package includes:
Full CNC poring of Intake,exhaust and Combustion chamber
to 225 cc intake runner volume, competiton multi angle valve job,
installation of larger intake and exhaust seats,with hand finishing.
Built on brand new 5.3 castings (included in price)
Ferrea 2.055 intake valves, Rev 1.57 exhaust valves
63cc Combustion Chamber (can be milled smaller)
Asssembled with dual gold .650" lift hydraulic roller springs,
titanium retainers,and gm seals.
Flow sheet with intake and exhaust included.
This head is designed for use on 3.900" bore motors
and flows great. It WILL require flycutting of pistons
for valve reliefs with camshafts over 226*@.050".
Will make best power with a lsx 90 intake and 1 3/4" or
larger headers. We have customer's who have made well over
450RWHP using this head on stock 5.7's!
Old 10-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned

to the top.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Banned

to the top.

please help.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many LS1's has 'your guy' done in the past? If he can't tell you what the preload is, how can he be so sure it's correct?

Noisy generally means to little preload, so If you are running 7.400" I would guess you'll need 7.425", but this shouldn't be a guessing matter.

If he can't (or won't) take it apart and measure the preload for you, I'd find a new mechanic and cut your losses.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Banned

you may be on to something here.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Steve,it's not a big deal to check pushrod lenght,did he adjust the rockers with the car running or off?1/4 past zero lash should be fine.Did he just slap on those springs or did he measure spring height and seat presure?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wyckedcamaro

My guy calls me up to come down and hear the car. From outside the car.. it sounds badass (even though it is untuned). I take it for a ride and the valvetrain sounds like it is going to explode. Sounds like the rockers want to fall off. I expect ALOT of lope and a noisey valvetrain but not like this. Again, the valvetrain sounds like it is about to explode on me.

Are you sure its valvetrain noise and not exhust leak or some thing vibrating,i dont understand why you cant hear it from the outside standing right near the valve covers but hear it from the inside?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Banned

definately not an exhaust leak. You hear it more when You are driving. Not sitting at idle. When you are cruising.. forget about it!

Search this Thread