Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Low Tension Rings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS1 Low Tension Rings?

LS1's use low tension rings, this causes them to burn a little oil (normally 1qt or so per 3K miles).

Friction between metal parts causes wear

Low tension rings exert less pressure on cylinder walls and thus have less friction.

Less friction between the cylinder walls and the rings equals less wear on said parts

Less wear equals longer life.

By sacrificing 1 qt of oil usage per 3K miles inadvertantly, are we (soon to be we ) LS1 owners gaining a noticeable amount of useful life from our engines and avoiding ring-wear? (could this be why I have NEVER! seen an LS1 car blowing smoke?)
Old 10-13-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone correct me if i'm wrong,but most of the motors nowadays are going to a lower tension oil ring.the LS1 will use a little more oil because there is a more crankcase pressure than the old SBC motors,not just because of the lower tension oil rings.that's why the LS6 block went with vent holes above the mains,to relieve some of the pressure.
but honestly,if i don't hammer on my motor,it doesn't burn that much oil.any motor will use more oil if your spinning it to 6000 rpms constantly.
i went to Chicago last weekend(300 mile round trip)and i went thru about 1/2 a quart.but i was hammering on it pretty good most of the way there and back on the toll road,lol.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:56 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

LS1 with OEM rings have standard tension oil control rings. I believe that the PVC system design on the LS1 engine is one of the major contributors to oil usage. I switched to a GM PVC orifice rather than a PCV valve and I don't even use half a quart between changes (3,000 miles).
Old 10-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
LS1 with OEM rings have standard tension oil control rings. I believe that the PVC system design on the LS1 engine is one of the major contributors to oil usage. I switched to a GM PVC orifice rather than a PCV valve and I don't even use half a quart between changes (3,000 miles).

Wow...does this different "valve" fix problems usually? I thought LS1's had 9# rings?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in that as well.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
i stand corrected.
i used that same PVC orifice for awhile,but i didn't notice any difference in oil consumption.so i switched back.
but the main reason for oil consumption is the increased crankcase pressure inherent in the design of the deep skirt LS1 blocks.just the nature of the beast...

Quick Reply: LS1 Low Tension Rings?