Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

connecting rod finishing

Old 10-15-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default connecting rod finishing

i bought a set of cat h-beam rods. when the rods came in you can tell why these are the cheapest on the market. i think they do little to none finishing work on them. from what i understand a majority of rods come forged from one or few companys then are sold out to eagle, carillo, blah blah blah, then these companys do their own finishin touches to make them their special rod. my main question is will it affect metalurgy at all if i sand these smooth? i planed on smoothing them out myself, getting them cryo'd then getting them balanced. the cryo thing may be a if but pulling any imperfections out if them i can is something i really want to look at. any suggestions?
Old 10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Teching In

If you sand them. be sure to do it in-line with the length of the rod to prevent stress-risers. You will then have to have them re-shot peened to prevent stress cracking, then the big end will need re-sized because it will be slightly out of round after peening. This is why good quality rods are more expensive and can handle higher loads. That is why cheap and strong don't always belong together !
Old 10-15-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm that sounds shitty. i guess i'll just leave them be possibly just cryo them. they're not bad but they're not exactly high quality. oh well the motor won't be a high rever and will stray withint hte limits of what the company says
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The outside of the rod dosnt dosnt need to be pretty. A pretty connecting rod is a waste of money IMO. Plenty of good rods have an unfinshed as-cast/as-forged look to them.

Search this Thread